Two babies - some questions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bati

Mum gave birth while in a taxi, now she's in a cage with her two babies but she doesn't go near them. I managed to feed them and make them pee. But how do I keep them warm? The heater is off because of summer, a fan is too aggresive I think. I put them under a tshirt but they seem cold. I hold them in my hands and they go warm, but hoping mum will get interested I want them to stay in the cage.

and the reason for birth in taxi, my best friend made this litter but her bf has gone insane (serious and violently) and the animals had to get out, and mum hadn't gained much weight, so she surprised us.

Bati said:
Mum gave birth while in a taxi, now she's in a cage with her two babies but she doesn't go near them. I managed to feed them and make them pee. But how do I keep them warm? The heater is off because of summer, a fan is too aggresive I think. I put them under a tshirt but they seem cold. I hold them in my hands and they go warm, but hoping mum will get interested I want them to stay in the cage.

and the reason for birth in taxi, my best friend made this litter but her bf has gone insane (serious and violently) and the animals had to get out, and mum hadn't gained much weight, so she surprised us.

do you have a heating pad, or a sock you can put rice into and heat in a microwave?

Oh those poor babies and your friend's situation is awful. :(
Is the rat mom stressed out or she's casually ignoring them?

I guess keep feeding them every 2 hours (and encourage to eliminate but I am sure you know that), and pray that Mom just needs time to relax and get interested in her babies.
Two is an awful tiny litter, could there be something wrong with them?

Mum looks a bit like there are more to come (I'm not experienced with litters, only had two and they where surprises as well), she gave birth in a cage with 9 friends all jumping around because of the stress / taxiride, but I hope noone was eaten - sock / rice, that I can do, mum doesn't look stressed, she looks mostly TOO calm and just not interested. I put the cage in my bedroom, which is warm and dark and calm, just hoping they will survive.

Good news - mum is with them and nursing :D I am SO happy!!!

This litter is my hubbys - his favorite male boy named Osama and my friends favorite girl, both so sweet and gentle, so for so many reasons they are important to a lot of people

Should I worry about only two babies? How do I see if mum is not finished?

Bati said:
Good news - mum is with them and nursing :D I am SO happy!!!

This litter is my hubbys - his favorite male boy named Osama and my friends favorite girl, both so sweet and gentle, so for so many reasons they are important to a lot of people

Should I worry about only two babies? How do I see if mum is not finished?

If she is nursing? She is done. If babies were stuck inside her...this is the stuff I am not sure of tho...you would be able to see if any are stuck in the birth canal, and possible a gentle palpation to see if there are any more lumps in her. Its possible she reabsorbed the rest of the litter due to the stress at her old home...violence is not peaceful mommy time. :(

congrats!!!

Mum looks perfectly fine and no pain, nothing stuck - and yes, it was an awfull situation, have been begging and threatning to get the animals out, so now finally I can relax and enjoy my babies watching mum nurse them (thankyou for the heating advice!), and call work and say I'm not sick anyway and I'll come to work in 2 hours :oops:

Pics as soon as hubby comes home with camera :D

Bati said:
Mum looks perfectly fine and no pain, nothing stuck - and yes, it was an awfull situation, have been begging and threatning to get the animals out, so now finally I can relax and enjoy my babies watching mum nurse them (thankyou for the heating advice!), and call work and say I'm not sick anyway and I'll come to work in 2 hours :oops:

Pics as soon as hubby comes home with camera :D

Woohoo!!! Pics!

I'm glad to hear it all turned out well in the end and she is with you in your caring hands now. :thumbup:

Oh boy, I missed the whole thing. I'm so glad all is ok. I was worried mom might be in distress.
Good for you to take on the rats for your friend.

I know you got it all sorted out and she is now feeding but a word of advice I got when I was worried my momma rat wasn't sitting her nest nearly enough was to take her and the babies out of the cage and put them in a teeny tiny travel cage which forces her to sit on them just long enough that you feel they have nursed enough and they have milk bands again. Then put them back in the nursery.

Just thought I would post this for FYI for anyone else who might want to know.

Staci

Yay more babies! I was worried my momma was taking care of hers but I think she was just stressed and all is well, we are on day 7 now. :)

jorats said:
Melissa said:
Yay more babies! I was worried my momma was taking care of hers but I think she was just stressed and all is well, we are on day 7 now. :)

You know what we need right? :stickpoke:
Okaaaaay they are on my camera I just have to upload them, lol.

YAY I am so glad she's taking care of them. Kudo's to you for getting them out of the situation. Good luck with them.

Just came home from work and everything is fine, they are eating and being nursed, they are both rex (if not double), dumbo, one is red-eyed, one is black-eyed, one girl and one boy (I think) - and they are so warm and making the perfect sound. I'm in love :lovestruck:

Bati said:
Just came home from work and everything is fine, they are eating and being nursed, they are both rex (if not double), dumbo, one is red-eyed, one is black-eyed, one girl and one boy (I think) - and they are so warm and making the perfect sound. I'm in love :lovestruck:

Thats wonderful Bati!!!

Whats mom like?

Back