two 11 year old rats with URIS not getting better with antibiotics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hope_aquarius

Hello,
I recently got three 8 week old rats. When I brought them home, two were constantly sneezing. I brought them to the vet and got prescribed Doxy. After a week they were still sneezing and sounding more congested so I brought them to the vet. I got prescribed Doxy and Batryil for two weeks and they received a respiratory swab. I am still awaiting the swab results and today they have been on the new antiobiotics for a week. Today they are both having sneezing attacks where they squeak. They both have clear lung sounds and no other s/s besides sneezing and the new sneeze attacks. I have them on eco shredded paper bedding. I have a humidifier in the room and an air purifier next to the cage. No fragrances in the house. I gave them a small amount of dark chocolate today when they had a sneezing attack. I am feeling very depressed because since I brought them home it's been a struggle. I have spent over $600 in vet visits in the 3 weeks I have had them, and no improvement. I just want to get this URI under control and need advice on what to do? I just want them to make it to adulthood.

It is possible that your new babies had a virus. These don't respond to antibiotics right away but in the end hopefully will. The virus sheds after a week, but the secondary symptoms then kick in and that's what you treat with antibiotics
Do you want me to double check the dosing you are giving to make sure it's effective?
I'd need to know the weights of the rats, the concentration of each antibiotic (mg/ml or %) and the dose you were told to give.

Back