Tumour and spaying

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

I'm getting 3 male rats soon and I currently have 4 rats. 2 neutered males, 1 spayed female and 1 intact female. This female is 2 and a half and developed a tumour. wlWe did an X-ray that showed the tumour is very close if not attached to her diaphragma so at the time because it was growing really slowly and because the vet said it couldn't be removed completely I decided not to operate. It's been a few months since I spotted it and it only now it's been getting a little bigger. I was reconsidering having it removed when since if it did grow back at the same rate as this one, it would buy her a lot more months. Plus, I could get her spayed since she would already be under anesthesia and they could all live together. What's holding me back is that it could be too risky. I'm worried about it being too close to the diaphragma and it making it hard to operate. I'm also worried about her respiratory system. She lived a long time in a tank before she came to me and she has been on different antibiotics ever since she did. She's been on Baytril + doxy + Zithro for weeks. That was too many antibiotics so eventually I started her on azithromycin only to keep her stable. The vet said her lungs looked okay. She sounds wheezy sometimes but eventually it goes away. It feels like it may be just her nose. The vet said that it could also be the tumour pressing on her diaphragma that wasn't helping. But still I am scared to go with surgery cuz I fear it might be too risky. She's very full of energy. Has always been rather thin but eats well. I was wondering what you think I should do. Will it be too risky?

Lilspaz68 and Jorats will be able to provide good feedback based on their extensive knowledge

At 2.5 years of age, with reoccurring respiratory issues she may not be a good candidate for surgery.
On rare occasions, if a rat has a small pt not yet showing symptoms, surgery can cause it to start growing quickly

BTW, many people maintain older rats with lung damage on baytril - that might possibly be a better choice

Last edited:
Lilspaz68 and Jorats will be able to provide good feedback based on their extensive knowledge

At 2.5 years of age, with reoccurring respiratory issues she may not be a good candidate for surgery.
On rare occasions, if a rat has a small pt not yet showing symptoms, surgery can cause it to start growing quickly

BTW, many people maintain older rats with lung damage on baytril - that might possibly be a better choice
Thank you. I got her on Baytril only but had to put her back on Baytril + Zithro not too long after.

Back