Tumor? Hernia? Help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just adopted these two lil cutie pooties a few days ago. I originally was only supposed to bring home the PE Dumbo Marked Siamese (Autumn), but ended up with both. The reason? The rattery was just going to give the BE Dumbo Himalayan Rex (Opal) away anyway due to a strange lump on her abdomen that had formed within the last day or so. I don't mind the vet visit, but I wanted to get some eyes on it first to maybe see if anyone can shed some light on how serious it could be. I was told it's probably a hernia because she's too young (5-6 weeks) to get mammary tumors. I don't know anything about hernias or the age at which rats start getting mammary tumors, so can anyone enlighten me?

Does this look like a hernia, abscess, or tumor?

It doesn't push in like a person hernia would. It's squishy and moves, but doesn't feel like it's supposed to sit inside her gut, if that makes sense.

If it's a tumor, I want it out and her spayed. Will probably get her spayed anyway for good measure. I'm just really worried bc she's so young. Any insights? (I'm gonna go ahead and call the vet bc I have a feeling whoever responds first is going to tell me to do that anyway)

Pic of the two of them holding each other's faces while taking a hydration break for funsies.

PS - I have 4 other rats and have had rats since I was a young teen. They're separated currently bc they are so new, so they get they're own cage within smelling distance of the other ladies' home.

Attachments

• image-d09eb745-203b-4fc6-9005-a8304da20368.jpg
    image-d09eb745-203b-4fc6-9005-a8304da20368.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 121
  • image-e0495d20-e74b-42e2-a694-bb3cc45a713b.jpg
    image-e0495d20-e74b-42e2-a694-bb3cc45a713b.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 116
  • image-184def8a-c7a6-4e3c-926d-570166aeeb71.jpg
    image-184def8a-c7a6-4e3c-926d-570166aeeb71.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 117
That is very strange- like you said its very unlikely to be a tumor... It looks like a hernia but it also could be an abscess I suppose. You are correct yes I'd say go to the vet, if you're getting her spayed anyways they should be able to fix this issue at the same time(hopefully at least). The good thing is she looks bright and otherwise healthy so if it's an easy fix then I'd say you scored yourself a great looking companion.!

It looks like an umbilical hernia. At this point you can watch and wait to see if it resolves but when she's older you might need to have it surgically repaired.

That is very strange- like you said its very unlikely to be a tumor... It looks like a hernia but it also could be an abscess I suppose. You are correct yes I'd say go to the vet, if you're getting her spayed anyways they should be able to fix this issue at the same time(hopefully at least). The good thing is she looks bright and otherwise healthy so if it's an easy fix then I'd say you scored yourself a great looking companion.!

She is very lively. They both are. And I mean VERY. At any given point, I can look over and see both of them hanging from the ceiling, chasing each other around. Total goofballs. I've already fallen head over heels for them, so I went ahead and made an appointment.

It looks like an umbilical hernia. At this point you can watch and wait to see if it resolves but when she's older you might need to have it surgically repaired.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. What are the risks to waiting, other than surgery down the road? For example, I don't want her to be in pain or not be able to live her best life. Should she have surgery now to have it repaired? Which is more risky - waiting and possible surgery or surgery at such a young age even though there's a chance it could get better?

Thank you both!!!

Well from my human knowledge umbilical hernias aren't painful- as for the surgery that's more of a question for lilspaz seeing as I have zero experience with these surgeries.!

Sometimes umbilical hernias can resolve on their own. She's too young to have surgery now which is why I advise watching and waiting. She's not showing any signs of ill health so she should be okay until then.

The other possibility is developing an abscess over the umbilical area, these also usually resolve on their own often by bursting, draining and they are gone.

Pics of one of my wee rescue babies who had an umbilical abscess

Attachments

• Nov%2020%2015%20baby%20girl%20umbilical%20abscess%202.jpg
    Nov%2020%2015%20baby%20girl%20umbilical%20abscess%202.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Nov%2020%2015%20baby%20girl%20umbilical%20abscess%203.jpg
    Nov%2020%2015%20baby%20girl%20umbilical%20abscess%203.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 94
Back