trying to find out cage manufacturer/brand - help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixiTrix

Hi, my last rat died a couple months ago. She lived to be at least 5! She was given to me by a student who had to move away because her family is in the military and they had orders to move. Anyway, the cage that I had was a good one, but had been through several rats. It really needed to be replaced, even though, structurally, it was in good shape.

But now I can't find one like it. I liked it because it had a DEEP plastic pan which held in the bedding without getting everywhere. What I didn't like was that it had a built-in exercise wheel that squeaked. I just assume take that out.

I am getting two new babies soon, and want to buy a new cage like my old one. But after searching online for days on end, I cannot find another one like it. I did find a much smaller version by the same company on ebay and asked the seller if they knew the brand, but they did not.

Mine was 3 stories tall at least. The corners were slightly rounded.

I'm not sure what type that is but I remember those from a long time ago. What is the base size on yours? That seems way too small for rats.

I'm not sure what type that is but I remember those from a long time ago. What is the base size on yours? That seems way too small for rats.

That photo is not of mine. That is a random photo - the only one that I could find that was the same brand. My actual cage was three stories high. I can't remember the width, but it was really sturdy, had several doors, handles, and the pan was really deep. Mine was a different color.

Do you remember if the wheel was removeable and just came with the cage or if it was built in and had to be really hacked out to get it out? What color was the base and bars? I remember a cage that had a built in wheel, and it took up a ton of room in the base.

Actually, I think this morning I found the name: Coast Cages. I don't think they are made any more, but not certain. The wheel was built in. Mine was black with a silvery-gray bottom. My wheel was solid, not wired.

if you are in the USA, you might want to check out martinscages.com ..... the powder coated R695 is a good cage (not galvanised as they rust, assemble it with cable ties not the c-rings as they rust and cover the wire floors - I can give some suggestions).
You would want to get one with a flip top for easy access to the top floor so easy to put in large wheel etc
The powder coated R695 does not come with a wheel but you can buy a good solid 12 in diameter wheel to put into the cage.
It does come with a pan that is 3.5 in deep.

Last edited:
Now that I have realized that I can't get the other one, I am considering my other options. I am looking at Martins and Critter Nation. I keep seeing photos of white Critter Nation cages, but can't find one actually for sale. I don't know that I need to go that big, and not sure where I would put it, for that matter. I am only getting two rats, but did like that it was up higher and on wheels. I also like that people make accessory kits for it.

Now that I have realized that I can't get the other one, I am considering my other options. I am looking at Martins and Critter Nation. I keep seeing photos of white Critter Nation cages, but can't find one actually for sale. I don't know that I need to go that big, and not sure where I would put it, for that matter. I am only getting two rats, but did like that it was up higher and on wheels. I also like that people make accessory kits for it.

You could look at the Feisty Ferret as well and see if that would be any good for you? Not sure on bar spacing though.

Do you know what the structural differences are between the Critter Nation and the Ferret version? I think I read something about the plastic pan.

The difference between the two is the bar spacing and placement.
(see pictures at https://www.ferret.com/cages/cages/887/ )

The bar spacing on the critter nation is suitable for baby rats, while the bar spacing on the ferret nation is wider and is too large for babies.

PetSmart sells a critter nation cage by a different name (same cage, same company) that is less expensive.

Last edited:
Why not look into getting rats from a shelter, rescue or rats being rehomed
There are many rats in need of good homes.
If you put you location (country, province or state, etc) then people might be able to make specific suggestions

Back