Trouble after surgery

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lise Patterson

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Seeking quick advice. My 2-year -old girl Mozzie had surgery today to remove mammary tumour on her side. The experienced vet thought the surgery had gone well but now, some 9 hours after the surgery, Mozzie is weak, turning in circles and can’t seem to control her mouth enough to eat or swallow. This is more than the usual post-surgery wobbles.
Should I rush her down to the 24-hour emergency vet, where knowledge of rats is uneven to say the least? Or dare I wait ‘til my vet clinic opens in the morning, where I can expect to get knowledgeable care?
Also, any recommendations for immediate care?

It sounds like she may have had a stroke, I would go to the experienced vet because odds are she had the stroke after not during.

I think you’re right and I’ve decided to wait for my trusted vet. But I’m curious as to why you think the stroke likely happened post-op - is this a well-known occurrence? And would it result from the surgery itself, from the isoflurane anesthesia or from stress?

It could have been a number of things or a complete coincidence but there are good odds on the combination of age and stress to the body that caused it. I'm not sure if it's a common occurrence or not if I'm being honest I just know that strokes seem to be strangely common in rats and the things that you mentioned line up perfectly with one. I believe waiting for the normal vet was the best option for you both, if you need any help or have anymore questions at all don't hesitate to ask !

Thanks so much Kye. The symptoms very much resembled those of a stroke until Mozzie started to improve around 6 am this morning. Now she can walk more or less in a line, her hind legs have regained some strength and she has also regained some ability to eat. My vet thinks the isoflorane might have caused extended neurological symptoms as he has seen this happen in older rats. Fingers crossed she will regain her pre-op functions.
Appreciate your advice.

I'm glad she's improving ! If she didn't have a stroke then that is very good news and I am hoping she keeps improving !

How is she doing? My beloved Brooklyn had mammary surgery to remove a tumor and it bought her another year and a half of quality life. Good luck with your little one!

Thanks for your kind wishes. Mozzy is doing much better now. It seemed she had lengthy problems recovering from the anesthetic. I’ve put many rats through surgery but never seen one with such profound and extended neurological symptoms. I guess there’s quite a wide range of possible reactions.
Once Mozzy wakes up and emerges from her pod I’ll try to snap a picture of her and post it to this thread. She seemed very active and happy this morning. :)

Back