Training Advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randall

So we have three new rats and I have been putting them in the bathtub one at a time for about 5 minutes a day so I can train them to come to their names when called, but I cant find a treat that they like. I have tried bananas, peas, carrots, freeze dried edamame (which two of the rats started to chock on and one actually regurgitated four times on it so no more of that) and peanuts. they run around the bathtub with no interest in the treats. what does everyone else do for training treats?

If you’re looking for treats, veggies and fruit aren’t interesting enough for ratties! I definitely suggest treats like yoghurt drops, dry oats, strawberry yoghurt and crunchy baby snacks (like gerber puffs.) And please please please don’t feed them food like freeze dried edamame, rats don’t have a gagging reflex so they will choke to death:( And I hope you’re not giving the rats a full peanut with the shell around it because the same thing will happen!

Anyway, if it’s your first time owning rats, just be aware that training them takes quite a lot of experience! So it may take you a few months. I suggest teaching them the word ‘treats’ first of all. Something they all understand, usually when I tell my boys ‘treats’ they all come running and in return I give them a treat. It’s a simple command and is definitely easier to teach than getting your ratties to come when it’s name is called!

I wish all the best to you and your new babies❤️❤️

dairy, anything with added sugar or added salt or added fat are very unhealthy for rats.
A piece of ripe banana is a good treat, and vegs like peas and carrots are good as rats need a variety of vegs every day (such as baby kale, broccoli, cooked squash, cooked sweet potato, mixed greens, cauliflower, a couple of cooked chick peas, a couple of cooked kidney beans, etc). Other good treats are berries, other types of fruit, cooked whole grains, etc There is a forbidden foods list.

Is the bath tub their play area? Because I don't understand why you are putting them in what would normally be a scary place, one at a time.

When I feed my rats, or give them a healthy treat I call out the word treat ..... so they will all learn to come to me when I say treat. It is good to have a word that will cause them all to come to you.

When they are out in the play area you can say a name and then give that rat a treat. That way each will learn to associate their name with a treat and eventually will come to you when they hear their name.

Treats I would suggest as rewards are one organic kumat puff, or an organic pumpkin seed. Because these are small, something they will like, are not too fattening in moderation, and can be eaten in seconds.

Perhaps start with trust training and getting them used to you. Put on a shirt with a loose fitting shirt over it. Then put all 3 rats on you between the two shirt and sit or lay down and the rats can get used to you and your smell and feel safe. Do this for at least 20 minutes at a time.... and if they decide to climb out and wander around exploring or climb on you that is ok.

Your rats are active and curious ...... they need to run and climb and explore and interact with you in a safe area with toys and lots of interesting things for them to explore

Last edited:
Not my first time with rats my wife raised 7 rats; years ago. I do the bathtub because 1) they are contained since they have not learned to come to their name 2) it’s away from the other rats so just that rat can learn it’s name. I play with them all the time and they now climb on me when I stand at the door and I’m trying to get them to ride my shoulders. My wife chooses stuff with no added sugar or oils (Bare naked dried fruits). We had to put one of our rats down recently due to tumors and she read on a rat site that edamame reduced tumors. I have been saying their name followed by the word treat based on the book “ The Complete Guide to Rat Training” by Debbie Ducommun.

They're unlikely to take treats if they're stressed out (they're prey animals, they eat when they feel they're safe), nor is that a good situation to train in. Shoulder rides sounds good, bathtub doesn't. You can try froot loops or banana chips (both good because you can break into small pieces so they don't get too much junk). You can have more than 1 out at a time, just say Their name as you hand them a treat. Main thing tho is train them in a situation where they are comfortable.

It is great that they are well socialized. It sounds like you have done a great job with them.
I find that there is always more to learn about rats and their care, regardless of how much experience and knowledge one has.

The bath tub is usually used as a scary place for intros, but could make a small play area with a fleece blanket, toys, tubes, boxes etc ...... but they would feel safer, and might be more responsive, if all out together.
As Fidget mentioned, they need to feel safe and happy when being trained, and being in their cage or out together in a safe play area are good places for that.
Examples of safe play areas people use include a covered couch, a covered bed, an enclosed area - such as a large area enclosed with chloroplast panels attached to one another, or a rat proof bathroom that has been made safe.
Hopefully some of the ideas re treats etc made in response to your inquiry will be helpful.
Good luck with the training

btw, we love lots of pics

Back