Toys for rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karenin

Hi! I have some new baby rats and I haven’t had any luck with toys for them. I’ve tried something shiny on a string and I’m going to try to hand wrestle them but any tips on what toys to use and how to get your rats to play with them would be very helpful.
thanks!

Boxes. Cardboard boxes. Lots of them. They love to chew them, and hide in them. Also, bird toys are great. We have a ton of the Kabob toys with bells on them. You can unscrew the bell, and put pretty much anything with a hole in it on the stick, then put the bell back on. Baby toys as well. Or some puppy teething toys. I get the super hard rubber or plastic, and they go to town. Cat balls. Mine have the jingly and crinkle ones.

My kid has this plastic egg toy, like two halves together the kind you get little toys in. Yesterday we were having open playtime and the rats were rolling this around and trying to open it and bite at it and they got really excited rolling it about. They had never seen something like this before so it was quite a novelty to them. They kept swiping it from each other and they even wrestled a bit over who gets to use it.

Rats often tend to play with the most random things. Anything non-toxic can be a toy.

My rats will wrestle and fight with a bamboo chopstick poked through the cage and try to grab it out of my hands and carry it off.

My kid has this plastic egg toy, like two halves together the kind you get little toys in. Yesterday we were having open playtime and the rats were rolling this around and trying to open it and bite at it and they got really excited rolling it about. They had never seen something like this before so it was quite a novelty to them. They kept swiping it from each other and they even wrestled a bit over who gets to use it.

Rats often tend to play with the most random things. Anything non-toxic can be a toy.

My rats will wrestle and fight with a bamboo chopstick poked through the cage and try to grab it out of my hands and carry it off.
My girls love chopsticks too, to chew on. They also enjoy used lollypop sticks. Rats are hilarious in what they like to play with and you won't know until you try lots of things. The cheapest, 'found' things are the best.

Today my little troublemaker ate my phone charger cord. LOL For months she's not touched it. Never ever has chewed a single wire, and today, the phone charger USB cord.

LOL. I hope that it wasn’t plugged in. :)
I honestly don't know if it was plugged in or not, probably not. See, this is how rats pick out their own toys LOL. My Baby Schpog LOVED cords but she knew the difference between electrical cords and USB cords. She ate 2 computer keyboard USB cords and 2 mouse USB cords. I finally got a cordless keyboard and mouse and you should've seen the look on her face when she tried to find these cords on the new mouse and keyboard. There were no cords to chew! LOL

I only have a small bit of power left on my phone so I gotta go get a USB C cord today. I will get a cord protector and charge my phone in an area where she doesn't go.

She's a little terror my Queenie. She's a very small female but she's like a bull in a china shop. She knocks everything over, jumps up onto everything and just goes nuts.

However, she is extremely intelligent and is becoming a great walking rat. She loves to sit on my shoulder and loves to go for walks. She climbs up my leg and up my shirt and asks for walks. I try to take her every day. She also loves my Columbia jacket and happily sits in my sleeve with her nose sticking out.

troublesome Queenie.jpg

USB CORD EATING QUEENIE
This is Queenie. She is troublesome. I named her perfectly as she is a rat Queen who does whatever she wants. When she was first integrated with Big Schpog, she fought with her a bit and I worried that they wouldn't get along. Now they are BEST PALS.

My rats haven’t discovered cords yet but I bet they will. I’m going to put lots of toys in their cage and see which one they pick. You should buy cords just for Queenie maybe that way you could keep yours.

Back