Toy ideas

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

I just realized that my rats are sorely lacking in toys right now. Particularly those of the "chewable" variety. I'm going to scout some pet stores on my next check but I was wondering if there were any common, household items that I can give them in the meantime?

Toilet paper roll - scrunch up one end, insert some treats, and scrunch the other end. They need to learn they have to chew the treat out, so they may get disinterested at first, but when a treat falls out, they will try again.

Toilet paper roll - scrunch up one end, insert some treats, and scrunch the other end. They need to learn they have to chew the treat out, so they may get disinterested at first, but when a treat falls out, they will try again.

That sounds very do-able! Thanks! What kind of treats are good to add to it? Like vegetables and a little bit of cheerio's? I don't like to overdo it with those because of the calories, but maybe balancing it out would be good.

I would only put dry treats inside in case it takes them a while to catch on. You don't want it to spoil.
I put Cheerios, peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins... stuff like that.

I would only put dry treats inside in case it takes them a while to catch on. You don't want it to spoil.
I put Cheerios, peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins... stuff like that.

I don't think the food spoiling will be much of an issue. lol I made one to test the idea out and put bits of apple inside of it and they ripped it apart within minutes.

Dixie cups also work for treat toys! Similar to the toilet paper tube, just insert treats and crumple it up. My girls also like to just have some dixie cups lying around the cage, for shredding.

Also, you can use popsicle sticks for a cheap wood toy, to toss in the cage. Many people buy their rats craft sticks from the dollar store. If you're not certain about the safety of them, you can buy food-safe popsicle sticks meant for making actual popsicles with! I've only found them online, though. A lot of people don't realize that "craft sticks" aren't necessarily safe, unless they specify that you can use them for making food items. I still buy the rats some "craft sticks" every now and then, but I do worry.

I also buy them paper straws and cupcake liners. Rats love shredding / nesting, and my girls will chew them up overnight. They are both meant for eating off of, i.e. human consumption, so they are safe. Some paper / cardboard has weird glues in it. I know the glues probably won't hurt a rat but I am over protective with my rats' toys!

Also, bird toys can be a big hit. Or not. My rats have always been "meh" about hard, wooden toys. They prefer softer (but safe) toys, like yucca bird toys.

Lastly, here's a chinchilla etsy shop that I love: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TaylorMadeChinchilla

I spend too much time thinking of rat toys... you can tell!

Some people hang an apple in the cage and ratties chew it

Also hanging a roll of toilet paper in the cage for ratties to unwind and decorate the cage or build huge nests out of

Back