Topical Ivermectin...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Since I have the new rescue boys, who were living outside, are coming in this week, I will need to treat them. I used that last of my Revolution on my last fosters but do have topical Ivermectin. Does anyone know a recommended dosage for it?

I have been using the guineapig one off of Guinealynx since most of the antiparasitic dosages are the same for piggies and rats.

Dosage (topical) 0.5mg/kg

and the cheat sheet
http://www.guinealynx.com/topical_ivermectin.html

I have used ivermectin (ivomec injectable) in the past but gave it orally. I don't think it is designed to be absorbed through the skin, and I wouldn't trust that route of administration.

I would give it orally, using the dosages on rat guide (.2 - .4mg/kg). My vet prescribed it to give orally once every 7 days for 3 weeks.

This is the information I have followed.

Guinea Lynx' TOPICAL IVERMECTIN TREATMENT FOR GUINEA PIGS @ 0.5mg/kg
USING IVOMEC INJECTION 1.0% SOLUTION

Ivermectin can be used topically to kill mange mites and may also kill lice and fur mites. It is safe for pregnant sows and young that have reached 12 ounces (340 grams) in weight. Repeat treatment at least once 7 to 10 days later to kill emerging mites (eggs are not killed). Treat all cavies simultaneously. For more information and cautions, read http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html

I know that topical treatment works well on piggies.

Just for reference, I've only ever used ivermectin oral paste got at a horse supply place. A tube always expires before I run out since you get so much (but you have to mix the whole tube up really well). Always worked like a hot-damn. A dose the size of a grain of rice once a week for 3 wks, and they take it so easily in a tiny bit of something good-tasting.

My vet once RXed topical Ivermectin. I don't remember if it was the same as the injectible or not. But basically the way it works is that you put in on a spot like the back of their neck. Then when they groom if off and then lick their paws that is how they ingest it. It is not absored by the skin like Revolution is. He flavored my Ivermectin with mable flavoring. Can't remember the dosing he gave me though. I think it was like .1 cc for large rats and .05 for the babies? But don't hold me to that.

Back