Too old to introduce new rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carmiedog

I have a 22-23 month old single male rat. His siblings passed away at 21 months (sudden) and 22 months (paralyzation/seizures). I was hoping to have them all until this summer, but they are from rescues with approximated ages and were not in the best health when the rescue organization took them in. The remaining rat seems healthy for his age and is still eating fine, but he's definitely less energetic since being left along and is no longer going inside any of the enclosures/sleeping quarters in the cage. Most of his time is on the top level just sitting or sleeping out in the open, which is a big change in behavior. At his age, would it cause him more stress to add new rats at this point? I will be getting more, but not sure if it will best for him to get them now or let him finish out his life first. If he was younger I wouldn't be questioning it.

When I had rats, the minute I would have a loss, I would rescue a new rat(s). I don't think his age matters. He might very well be quite lonely now without any friends. If you are wanting more rats, I'd definitely get 2 baby boys for him and do proper intros.

Back