Toe nail ripped off!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine just ripped her toe nail, I’m calmer after Reading all these replies on here but still freaking out. She’s sleeping in her sputnik which is so unusual for her she never sleeps when I’m in the room. It was bleeding A LOT and my parents won’t let me put anything on it like cornstarch. Any advice or consolation?? I’m so upset

They thought bloodloss was a good thing? Maybe she now needs rat-safe foods high in naturally-occurring iron. When I put probiotic spray on mine to keep his finger from bleeding, that seemed to make it never form a real scab, which must be why there's no new nail there, now that it's healed. Or maybe it's a matter of nail removed vs fingertip removed. I'll keep checking it.
Vegetables and Fruits (But raw sweet potatoes aren't safe.)

They thought bloodloss was a good thing? Maybe she now needs rat-safe foods high in naturally-occurring iron. When I put probiotic spray on mine to keep his finger from bleeding, that seemed to make it never form a real scab, which must be why there's no new nail there, now that it's healed. Or maybe it's a matter of nail removed vs fingertip removed. I'll keep checking it.
Vegetables and Fruits (But raw sweet potatoes aren't safe.)
Her tor has stopped bleeding now!! I checked on her yesterday and it’s completely blood free, however her nail is completely black. Based on the posts on this thread I’m assuming her toenail might fall off in the next couple days but then grow back as normal. Crossing my fingers this will turn out ok!

It just happened to my girl last night on her back toe, it scabbed over within an hour and seemed to be okay so I put her to bed. By the morning, she had pulled the scab off and it was bleeding like crazy again. She has hind leg degeneration, so she hasn’t been able to use her back legs for months. Because of this, the blood got all over her bottom side and in her fur. There’s dried blood all over her, but I’m too nervous to bathe her because I don’t want to open the wound again. She’s also very fragile as she’s almost 3 years old and battling HLD. Any ideas on how I can clean her up without disturbing the healing process of her toenail?

Back