To big?

Discussion in 'Habitat' started by bluerose, Oct 3, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 3, 2018 #1

bluerose

bluerose

bluerose

I know a bought cage is best for rats. I can’t afford one at this time. I do how ever have wire and a storage shelf that isn’t doing anything but taking up room. It is adjustable so the levels inside can be different width and height. I was thinking from top to bottom about 50 inches and 40 inches wide with a depth of 16 inches. I did the calculations and it is big enough for 8 rats! . I don’t want more than two until I know I can give them enough attention. That being said I can make it shorter but not narrower. Is this to big for my 2 month old babies?

2. Oct 4, 2018 #2

Luna&Ralph

Luna&Ralph

Luna&Ralph

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a cage that's too big. That being said, if they're still growing and you do plan on buying them a cage in the future, you may not want to start them out with a cage that's bigger than what they will have later on. If they get used to too much space and then have to move to a smaller cage, they may start to feel cramped and possibly fight. However, if you think you can make this cage work for their whole lives, it would be a great size for them to have plenty of room to play and run.

3. Oct 4, 2018 #3

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

There is no such thig as too big a cage,
    but there are min sizes
    Rats do need a lot of horizontal space and height with levels.
    I would keep the horizontal space, but it can be shorter if you want.

4. Oct 4, 2018 #4

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

That cage is good for 8 rats but only if there are multiple floors. If it's a wide open space in between with just hammocks, that is not good enough. But the base is a good start for sure. Make sure to add good solid levels.

SQ likes this.