Tips for when your rat has a tumor?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not directly on her it's the overhead fan in the room. Having a giant fan aimed at her cage is a funny mental image though.

That's alright I explained it in a confusing way lol. I'm so happy with how well she's doing!! Eating, drinking, pooping, and she hasn't really fussed with the incision since that first night so it looks good! She's been a bit of a butt taking her medicine but she's getting most of it hopefully. It's a huge relief to see her do well, not just because she's my girl but also because I JUST lost my dog of 11 years this week. I was going to freak if I lost 3 pets in one year. It's been really hard.

She goes to get her stitches out tomorrow! I hope all goes well! Got back from my family trip and she was doing fine, her incision looks like it has healed nicely and she ran out and sat with me for a while to have some Cheerios when I let her out. I'm sure she will be very happy to get back to her regular cage tomorrow and out of that small cramped one. I tried to give her plenty of toys in it but my girls never did like their travel cage. Ah well, it was necessary for recovery. She won't be happy with me tomorrow but I hope we can put this whole ordeal behind us after!!

She got her stitches out no issue today and vet said she had healed well. Overall I think the operation was a complete success :) thank you very much to everyone on here who helped guide me through it

So playing with her today I have found another lump, this time much higher up right in the middle of her chest it seems. It is fairly small, much smaller than the other one and also very round. It moves around in the skin and doesn't seem to be firmly attached underneath. She flinched when I poked it which she didn't flinch when I poked the other. I'm wondering if this could be a abcess? Otherwise unfortunately it is yet another tumor. I believe her implant is supposed to slow the growth of further tumors so I am going to watch it for a bit and see if it gets larger but I am not feeling great about today.

Last edited:
It feels like a fatty lump, feels exactly like her other tumor did. I can move it around under the skin. I tried to get a pic of it but it's hard.

If it starts getting bigger I don't know what to do. I do have funds saved for them but not enough to constantly remove tumors. And my insurance is not going to pay for another removal in such a short span of time. Also I don't think rats mammary glands go up that high which means it may have metastasized which is not a good sign. This is very difficult :( :( :( Is there any other method I could take to slow the growth?

not really but sugar feeds cancer so a good healthy diet without things containing added sugar may help

It might be a mammary tumour .... it would be good to have it looked at immediately so you know what you are dealing with and what your options are

If the implant prevents mammary tumours then the tumour may have already been there but too small to see

Last edited:
It feels exactly like the mammary tumor she had already but it's in such a weird spot literally right in the center of her chest. The implant is also supposed to slow the growth of any other tumors that may pop up or were already there, so maybe it will grow very slowly and she will still have a lot of time left.

I will keep the low sugar thing in mind thanks!

It feels exactly like the mammary tumor she had already but it's in such a weird spot literally right in the center of her chest. The implant is also supposed to slow the growth of any other tumors that may pop up or were already there, so maybe it will grow very slowly and she will still have a lot of time left.

I will keep the low sugar thing in mind thanks!

Back