Timothy Hay Lollipops

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elricsgirl

My vet told me that my buddies need to chew more because their teeth are getting a little long. I have a whole box full of chew toys that they've never touched. Wood chews, apple sticks, lava stones, etc. They have no interest. They just aren't big chewers.

I was looking on Chewy and found these: OXBOW Enriched Life Apple Timothy Lollipop Small Pet Chew Toy - Chewy.com

It says they're safe for rats and my guys love them. They super hard and they'll sit and gnaw on them for a long time.

Unfortunately, I fell down the internet rabbit hole and some people say that the hay can be harmful. Does anyone know if the timothy hay will hurt them?

Thanks in advance!

Rats don't normally eat hay as they only get fibre from it, no nutrients as they aren't herbivores but as a chew toy it should be fine. Chewing is a natural thing for rats and will keep their minds engaged. Just keep an eye on your rats poop to make sure they aren't getting constipated.

As for the teeth, when a rat bruxxes this is what keeps their teeth ground down not chew items.

Back