Tilly… please help, very new to pet rat. She’s biting.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and maybe don't play until you feel safe with her, you don't want her to get too excited & worked up, just stick to gentle touches, if she could be with you on the bed or couch while you read or watch tv would be good. Let her make the moves, she'll feel calmer if she is guiding the interaction.
Keep her calm. tuck your fingers in (like fists) when you touch her if you don't trust her, rats can give very deep painful bites, so be careful, but don't be afraid - you know animals so you know they pick up on that.

Tilly gets very excited when I open her door. She runs up and around her cage, climbs the side to her hammock, down to her tree trunk, everywhere. I call it the zoomies. I’ll hold out my hand and she steps on it then puts her teeth on my fingers. She has never even pinched me, my daughter (26) gets fearful that she is going to bite hard, so she won’t put her hands near her anymore. I was hand feeding her bites of anything I was eating that she could have. Not through the cage bars, I’d open her door and hand it to her. Could she be doing this “biting” behavior because of the way I was handing her food?? I have been putting it in her bowl instead for the last couple days. My daughter thinks it might be food aggression, but I’m not so sure. She will take the food in her mouth, but I don’t see aggression.
I watched some of the videos about aggressive rats on YouTube, Tilly seems more playful and excited with me and fearful with anyone she doesn’t know. I’ve spent hours sitting in my chair next to her letting her know my smell, my voice, and how I move around her. Basically making her feel safe around me.

If she's not nipping you then I wouldn't worry about it at all. Maybe she's trying to take you into her cage for a snuggle 🤣

Hi Fidget, I’ve been working on Tilly’s cage. I still have a few things to add. They are on their way from Amazon. I also contacted the rat rescue here to see if they can help me find a companion for her. One that is as close to her age as we can guess.
981293C5-184D-43A5-80CD-2DFB247F78BA.png

Wow, that looks real cozy for her! Your 'special mouse' really lucked out finding you, and all your special care shows that she's done a great job of creating a rat lover. My first was found in our parking lot 25 years ago, I'd never even known anyone with a pet rat, but Tinky became the first of my rattie loves, I still start every morning with my coffee in my Crazy Rat Lady mug 🥰. I hope you can find her a friend you both adore, fortunately girl rats are usually pretty easy to introduce. You're doing great by her!

Hi Fidget, I decided to take the run about ball back. Tilly is afraid of the bigger one. I picked up the 7 inch ball and showed it to her, she ran right into it. It’s way too small for her to run around in so I attached it to the side of her cage and put some comfy material in it and she loves it. She also climbs on top of it. I ordered her a ring bird toy, and a foraging wheel toy to hang on the side of her cage. I need to figure out what to put in it. Almonds, peanuts, cheerios, Chex cereal, maybe a few pieces of the peanut butter flavored pieces from my son-in-laws reeces cereal. I’ll use one of them to get her to check out new things.
I’ve seen a lot of YouTube videos say to use baby food as a treat to get her to let me do things. They never say what kind of baby food. Fruits??? vegetables??? meats??? I would love to try it but I don’t know what to use. Tilly loves whipped cream, but more than a level teaspoons is not good for her. I wouldn’t want to upset her tummy.
Tillysmom

Hi Fidget,
I assume that fidget is not your name, but a nickname for the site. My name is Dawn. We seem to have a few things in common. At least the way we were introduced to pet rats. Can I ask where you are located? I am in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. I am always open to making a new friend.

Last edited:
I saw you had the ball in her house, good use of it. All the things you mention are good for treats. I'm not sure what they mean by baby food as treats as I expect you want something you can finger-feed. (Rats do seem to like baby food, tho, I've used the pureed food for old or sick kids who lack an appetite, what type is dependant on what that particular rat likes). You can use frozen corn or peas too, anything they like really (avoiding too much sugar of course), just like people, ratties have their individual preferences. Nuts aren't as issue now, but high in protein, when she's older you'll want a lower protein diet (you can read about rats & protein).
Hiya Dawn, I'm Lauren, I live in Victoria, BC.

I’ve seen several articles that say rats cannot have grapes or raisins, and when I google about pineapple, the list of fruits that rats love grapes are on thus list. What is your experience with them? I have a lot of raisins in my freezer that I bought for Christmas baking. Can I let Tilly have some??

I have always fed my ratties both grapes (fairly frequently) & raisins (very rarely) with no issues. I don't believe there's any harm in giving Tilly a raisin, but I'd make it a rare occasion because they are Very high in sugar and there are so many other things she would enjoy just as much - sugar is the only reason I know of to avoid raisins, if anyone knows another reason hopefully they will say so.
Also, female rats are very prone to mammary tumors, and sugar feeds tumors, so I'd go easy on all sugar.

Everything I ordered has come in and I got it installed in her cage.
She has discovered that she can get on top or her cage when I open her door. She does come right back to me when she wants back in.
32E3FD73-F452-4FEA-B5C9-CEF57E93CF29.jpeg

I still have the wire ramps that I want to replace with wooden ladders and braided ropes. Eventually the only wire I want her to have is the cage itself. Does anyone have an idea where I can add a dig box so she won’t dig in her litter pan.

That's quite a cage transformation in 3 weeks! I'm curious about the wheel in the top right, I don't want to be critical but it looks like a whack of almonds & raisins or something? if so, that's waaaay too much fat & sugar, gonna message you :)

Back