Three vets won't give antibiotics.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfgirl

Kubera has been sneezing for a month. There was no discharge, no wheezing, and he has been very active still. I finally got my paycheck, and when I called the vet (it's far, I live on a homestead.) They said I could bring them in but based on my discription they won't perscibe antibiotics.
I called two other vets who said the same.
If it was JUST sneezing I might keep watch, however kubera now has some clear nasal discharge.
I have heard to worry about the red discharge, but is clear equally concerning????
And what should I do if the vets won't perscibe until worsened symptoms?!
Should I try fish mox? Something else?
(I hate that it's not regulated, but I also don't want to have to treat pneumonia if it progresses)

once any of mine have gotten a chest cold they almost never (one exception) get fully over it without antibiotics. if it's a rat i've had in before for the same thing i've been able to go pick up medicine without having to pay for a full exam. i'm taking one of my young females in for the first time in the morning for this very reason. they charge me $35 for the exam and it's $35 for the medicine. that's enough to treat my whole herd until she's all cleared out. She's had congestion off and on for a few weeks. had to wait until this payday for this but I've been keeping her house extra extra clean and not letting her get chilly and feeding her whatever she will eat. keep close eyes on him and just go as soon as your able too. <3

I have taken him to 2 of the vets before. They will not give me antibiotics without an exam fee ($65) even though theyt have seen him for it and they said based on my description of sneezing and clear discharge and no porphyrin they refuse to give antibiotics and advised that they would likely not change their mind based on an exam if he presents as I describe.
They said they will only give antibiotics if he becomes lethargic, and produces porphyrin, and lung sounds. They emphasized AND.
Essentially they refuse to treat until it's gotten worse.
These vets here are only in it for money :mad:
When kubera went in to be neutered they wanted me to sign paperwork that I would pay $900 (Yes. Nine, and two zeros,) if they needed to take life saving measures such as CPR.
I asked what the heck I had to pay so much for and they respond "our time."
Outraged.
They probably want him to get pnemonia so they can charge me more for treatment.:mad:
I took him when he had periphimosis and they took him in the back and held him that day because they could not get to him right away, and called.me back saying it went in on it's own....
They then charged me $55 essentially for Walking in the door...
They also do not do discounts for multiples, and they will not send any extra meds home.
So if both mine came up with URIs they would charge me $65 each and perscribe each.
Once I called the vet about the best bedding for URIs and they said "we can not give you advice over the phone, but we have an appointment available."
Despite being in that day and getting antibiotics for Karni Matta.
Money greedy people :(

Some rats sneeze more than others , if they don't seem to have clicking breathing, or puffy fur, hunched back, I don't think there is anything to be worried about. I have this one rat the moment she sees me she just starts sneezing and sneezing sounds to me like hi how are you? All in all she is in good health

Back