Three Rats or More Space?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

genie.kim8

Hi
I was planning to get two male rats for a long time and found a cage suitable for them.
As I was looking through some other forums, I found out that people say that you should always get as many rats as you can as they are happier in larger groups.
I read through all the pros of having a trio over a pair and was very convinced by them.
The only problem is my cage. When I put the dimensions in the rat cage calculator it said that I have room for three rats if I use my space wisely. I was planning on only putting in two to give them extra room. My cage will probably fit three but in my opinion it will be a bit more cramped.
In your opinion, what is more important for their happiness? Should I get three rats or give my two a little extra room?

Can you tell us a bit more about you cage?
Pictures of it set up would be helpful

What are the dimensions of the cage?
A rat cage needs a base of at least 30 inches by 18 inches with height for levels but bigger is better

My cage dimensions are in cm but in inches it is 30 by 18 by 24.
According to the rat cage calculator it is fine for three but it looks a little small.
I forgot to mention that I am planning to give them free roaming time everyday.

Sorry I can’t do pictures right now but I’ll try to explain the setup.
I have two water bottles on either side of the cage with a hanging bird type food bowl on the left side.
There is a wooden hide in the back left corner and a large chew toy next to it.
There are two shelves on either side of the cage, one being higher than the other. On both of the cages is a smallish hide.
I haven’t put them in yet but I’m planning to put in at least three hammocks on the top of the cage and maybe a few other fleece accessories. I’m also planning to add some hanging bird toys.
What do you think?
I’m sorry I can’t do photos

That does sound a little small for 3 rats. Can you tell us the brand name of the cage, might find it online. 30" x 18" should be the bare minimum base of a cage. Rats need room to run and move about on a single level. Then you need height for extra levels, hammocks and toys.

Back