Three new rescues

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you ask before accusing??

I JUST found out about my daughters' allergies the week before I contacted the forum to find a new home. I did not keep rats knowing my kids had allergies and I did not KEEP getting rats despite it.

Do you need to see my 2, 3 and 5 year old daughters' health records?? How about the one that almost died at birth from prematurity? How about when she was hospitalized for pneumonia that turned out to be RSV? How about the other daughter not thriving from 5 months on and 4 Drs. not discovering her Diabetes until she was emaciated at 18 month of age?? How about when my second daughter almost died from RSV?? How about when she was then diagnosed with Diabetes at the age of 3?? Or my newborn who did die from RSV?? Or how about the time she was hospitalized for a kidney infection and then pneumonia? These aren't even all the health crisis we've been through the last few years. YOU have no idea.

YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE HEALTH OF MY CHILDREN NOR WHAT WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH WITH THEM. Do not accuse me of making things up just to hide behind my ratties. We are lucky as hell to have our kids still. Perhaps I should have found my rats new homes sooner. I am an honest person and had I known about any of these conditions of course I would have taken them to the Vet. I find it curious not much has been mentioned about Decker, the gorgeous cat we saved from under our deck with the awesome personality. I really am a monster. You people sure have made me feel that way. I am so sorry about those rats and I know I didn't give them the time and attention they IDEALLY should have had, but I did the best with what I had. Not enough.

Let me know where you'd like me to send the medical records. I hope you have a few spare boxes.

Woa....

What the? where did we say you were lying?

Umm... how could we have asked you anything? We adopted the rats with LA's help.

Do you want our vet report on those three girls?

It seems you have a lot going on for a long time, so why not find homes for them before? You say the reason you were looking for a new home was because of allergies you knew of for one week prior to re-homing them?

I'm really confused.

You made mistakes, people will judge. That's life. Sometimes you just have to suck it up. You can try and explain yourself all you want, but people will make their own decisions up about you. Not everyone is friends on the internet.

I did mention Decker in the beginning.

My parents adopted Michelle's cat.

So everyone knows, he is in wonderful condition and my parents are extremely happy with him...

Not that it does much good anyways.

You know what Michelle, I'm just going to put this in the open and you probably won't like it. But, I really hope this puts things in a better frame for you.

Your story is up and down and changes. Yuu spout all these stories about your kids health problems for so long, but then you mention how you only knew about the allergies for one week. I feel like you are shoving your kids problems in our faces as some sort of scapegoat. If you had all of these issues, why didn't you re-home them sooner. Even more so, why did you have pets in the first place?

I can understand you are upset. Maybe you are in denial, maybe you are upset, maybe you are sad. Maybe you are all of the above. From my point of view you are looking for an out for yourself to get over the pain of how you feel about what you did to these rats. Yes, it is your fault.

It HURTS knowing the wrong you have done. I know and I know too well. I had some pets in the past that I took real bad care of. I was irresponsible and didn't change the litter enough. I didn't take my pets out of their cages. My parents gave away a dog I adopted because I was never home to take care of her. I can say things have changed now, A LOT! But, it still hurts to know what I did and I did try to make excuses to make myself feel better.

It's simple. Sometimes, humans are ignorant.

Stop looking for excuse, just deal with it. As hard as it is to believe, it's easier.

Someone said she had doubts my kids had health issues at all, despite my "story" and susggested I was hiding behind something that probably isn't even there. I kind of call that calling me a liar.

I DID NOT have rats for quite some time. When I was pregnant we did not have our own rats. I was in and out of the hospital and was still catching domestic ratties someone had released in the back of our rented house. I was at about 20 before I had to stay in the hospital until my daughter was born. We found homes for all of them and I did not keep ANY of them b/c I was too busy with a new baby. It wasn't until life settled down enough I thought it was time for a rat again.

I "spout" about my kids' healths b/c that IS the reason the rats didn't get the attention they used to get. I'm not hiding behind it and I'm not lying. We have chronically sick kids and it takes a huge chunk of our time and back when we first got these three rats the kids had not been diagnosed with Diabetes yet. We hadn't experienced health crisis and we didn't until we got the rats.

I didn't get rid of the rats sooner b/c I loved them and still made time for them. It wasn't until the kids allergies were made known that I found them new homes. They received basic care and sporatic cuddles in between health crisis until they were diagnosed with allergies too.

mamarat said:
I have pics of River and Jacqui. They are looking a lot better.
Here's Jacqui, she is quite the little explorer

jacquionbed.jpg

jacquionbed2.jpg

jacquionpillow.jpg

and here's River whispering a secret? lol

riversecret.jpg

riveroncarpet2.jpg

riveroncarpet.jpg

Thank you sweetie!!! What a precious little pair!!! Is it my imagination or do they still need to put some weight on? Can I send you a bottle of Olive Oil? :D :love6:

Michelle said:
Why don't you ask before accusing??

I JUST found out about my daughters' allergies the week before I contacted the forum to find a new home. I did not keep rats knowing my kids had allergies and I did not KEEP getting rats despite it.

Do you need to see my 2, 3 and 5 year old daughters' health records?? How about the one that almost died at birth from prematurity? How about when she was hospitalized for pneumonia that turned out to be RSV? How about the other daughter not thriving from 5 months on and 4 Drs. not discovering her Diabetes until she was emaciated at 18 month of age?? How about when my second daughter almost died from RSV?? How about when she was then diagnosed with Diabetes at the age of 3?? Or my newborn who did die from RSV?? Or how about the time she was hospitalized for a kidney infection and then pneumonia? These aren't even all the health crisis we've been through the last few years. YOU have no idea.

YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE HEALTH OF MY CHILDREN NOR WHAT WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH WITH THEM. Do not accuse me of making things up just to hide behind my ratties. We are lucky as hell to have our kids still. Perhaps I should have found my rats new homes sooner. I am an honest person and had I known about any of these conditions of course I would have taken them to the Vet. I find it curious not much has been mentioned about Decker, the gorgeous cat we saved from under our deck with the awesome personality. I really am a monster. You people sure have made me feel that way. I am so sorry about those rats and I know I didn't give them the time and attention they IDEALLY should have had, but I did the best with what I had. Not enough.

Let me know where you'd like me to send the medical records. I hope you have a few spare boxes.

your obvious tangent does not do you any credit. Most people will not be interested in your story if it is told in such a way. The animals in your care arrived sick and dying and Summer lost her battle when she bled to death. You are in no position to accuse anyone here of anything Michelle. Summer's jawbone was fully deteriorated and had been replaced with infection. It doesn't take Einstein to do the math from there.

If you expect any sympathy or understanding for your position then it would be advisable for you to alter your tone and your stance. What you are reading are people's honest and truthful emotions. Truth hurts and considering the fact that this is a "rat LOVER'S" forum you are on the shorter end of the stick.

In my opinion, your only chance to find acceptance here is to come clean in a low key and, above all, professional manner. People will rarely respond positively to any facts or realities issued in the accusing and hysterical manner you have shown here.

In this forum, rats are a part of our respective families and many of us have our rat cages as practical centerpieces in our homes. No one here has ever heard of a rat's jawbone being replaced with infection Michelle.

No one here expects you to be a Saint but if you expect to find any form of care or respect then you would do well to tell your side of the story in a mature way. People will build their opinions on their own, and it is likely that you will not find acceptance from everyone. This is only advice. I believe I am probably one of your worst critics. I don't hate you because hating people is not worth my time and energy but, until you provide information that rings true and makes sense, I will have nothing more to say to you and wish you all the best.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Actually River has to lose weight, but Jacqui had to gain weight. Whatever is in River's belly, the vet hopes was due to malnutrition and with good food, she might get better. But she didn't really give me any hope, she doesn't think River will live that long. It is very sad for me to watch these girls and now both do run to me when they hear my voice. She also said she thought the girls were much older but then (again) malnutrition can cause that too. So I love them like they will always be here but knowing they might not. :tearful:

mamarat said:
Actually River has to lose weight, but Jacqui had to gain weight. Whatever is in River's belly, the vet hopes was due to malnutrition and with good food, she might get better. But she didn't really give me any hope, she doesn't think River will live that long. It is very sad for me to watch these girls and now both do run to me when they hear my voice. She also said she thought the girls were much older but then (again) malnutrition can cause that too. So I love them like they will always be here but knowing they might not. :tearful:
I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you and the ratties. :grouphug:

Neglect is a sad, sickening thing. Animals, like our children, our given into our care. We dont "deserve" and we have no real "right" to them and they can be taken just as quickly. *sighs* While they are in our care, we should love them, give them what they need to thrive. Life is about balance and its our job to find that line, to walk along it the best way we can. When you can no longer clearly see that line, its time to make a choice. Clearly nobody would give up their human children in favor of their furkids.

Michelle is guilty of ignoring the balance and focusing her efforts on her sick children, that is understandable. Where it became a crime was her negelct of these furchildren, who had no voice and needed her love and care. It would have taken little effort to at least reach out and try to find them another home. Children, even the sickliest of them do sleep. We have to find the time, thats our responsibility as humans, being of a higher order, we are charged with caring for those who can not help themselves.

I am sorry these animals have suffered needlessly. I am thankful to see kindness and love in people so willing to take them in and love them no matter what the cost to them finanacially, but more importantly..emotionally.

I wish the girls well and they will be in my prayers. :praying:

mamarat said:

I'm so sorry mamarat. :cry:
Keeping the girls in my thoughts... :heart:

ratamataz said:
mamarat said:

I'm so sorry mamarat. :cry:
Keeping the girls in my thoughts... :heart:

Did I miss something? What is wrong with River's little tummy? Is there something in there? :cry:

The vet thinks River has fluid in her tummy or a tumor. And even with an xray she said she probably wouldn't be able to see anything because of the fluid. I have to watch her to see if she will lose the tummy with good nutrition.

anita1216 said:
Neglect is a sad, sickening thing. Animals, like our children, our given into our care. We dont "deserve" and we have no real "right" to them and they can be taken just as quickly. *sighs* While they are in our care, we should love them, give them what they need to thrive. Life is about balance and its our job to find that line, to walk along it the best way we can. When you can no longer clearly see that line, its time to make a choice. Clearly nobody would give up their human children in favor of their furkids.

Michelle is guilty of ignoring the balance and focusing her efforts on her sick children, that is understandable. Where it became a crime was her negelct of these furchildren, who had no voice and needed her love and care. It would have taken little effort to at least reach out and try to find them another home. Children, even the sickliest of them do sleep. We have to find the time, thats our responsibility as humans, being of a higher order, we are charged with caring for those who can not help themselves.

I am sorry these animals have suffered needlessly. I am thankful to see kindness and love in people so willing to take them in and love them no matter what the cost to them finanacially, but more importantly..emotionally.

I wish the girls well and they will be in my prayers. :praying:

I agree with you to a certain extent Anita. Very well said. I just sometimes wonder if animals really "need" humans or if we have put them in a position to need us. Many animals are not "welcome" anywhere and some people will freak out at the sight of a mouse.

You should see the looks I get from colleagues when they see the pictures of my boys in my cube. You have RATS??? "Bravo Socrates... any other obvious questions you need to have answered?" :roll: LOL!!!

(yes, I have a dry sense of humor. ;)!)

mamarat said:
The vet thinks River has fluid in her tummy or a tumor. And even with an xray she said she probably wouldn't be able to see anything because of the fluid. I have to watch her to see if she will lose the tummy with good nutrition.

Isn't there some way to check? My first rat, Tara, had a mammary tumor in her lower tummy and they had no problem removing it.

I have been feeding the boys Innova senior dog food (low in fats and proteins). They adore it! Have you tried it? I never would have known about it if Michelle, from Small Angels, had not given me a sample packet.

I tell my boys that they have her to thank for their favorite "lab blocks"

Thanks Michelle. :love6: :)

It's absolutely not a mammary tumour. Those are easy to spot. River may have some kind of abdominal tumour, it would be impossible to find out if it's operable because an xray would be clouded plus, the vet doesn't think she would survive the anesthetic for the xray.
When my vet palpated her tummy, she could only feel fluid, no tumours. The tumour is just speculation. She wants River to be fed the best foods formulated for rats in order to get full nutrition.

They are on Harlan Teklad 2014. Dog food isn't formulated for rats so it's definitely not a fully balanced diet, although, I can understand some people using it for their rats. It's just not something we think is good for our rats.
Although proteins and fat levels might be ideal, it still lacks in the proper amount of nutrients in vitamins, mineral, micro minerals and amino acids that rats require daily.

Back