Those of you with more than 2 shelves in your DCN/FCN

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velo

Hey all.
My girls are getting eldery and I think it is time that I add in a third shelf in my DCN so they can move around a bit more easily. I also have 4 youngish boys in the cage, so I would like to try to keep it interesting for them too.
I'm just wondering, if anyone has a 3+ shelf DCN/FCN if you could post some pictures for my inspiration?
Another question! I'd like to keep their wheel (12") if possible. Truthfully they don't use it much, but they do sometimes and it'd be nice to keep it in.
So has anyone managed a 3 shelf DCN with a 12" wheel? I can't see a way to make it fit in my mind but maybe I am wrong!
I'm getting shelves for my birthday on Sunday so I have until the Friday after that to sort of plan things out. :)
Thank you!~

sorry I can't help, I have a single CN

what kind of wheel do you have? I think a Silent Spinner might fit, but I'm not sure
I wish I could remember :p

It is a silent spinner, it's just like super huge. Idk I'm really conflicted on it because it takes up a lot of real estate and it's not used too often. But it feels wrong to not have one! But making the cage more old lady friendly is a priority. Two clearly have HED developing and Theia has a cataract too so I need to make life a lil easier for them. 😊

I've never added extra shelves in my CNs even though I had some pretty old rats in there. Those with severe HED would hang more at the bottom of the cage. But I did cover the ramps and add extra hammocks. I don't think you can have a big wheel in the cage if you add extra shelves but then, they may not even use the wheel anymore if they have HED.

I don't add extra shelves either ..... but I do keep one shelf at the lowest level, use the ramp covers when rats develop mobility issues, and hang hammocks low .... when rats have hed I hand some hammocks low enough for them t walk into the hammocks

Back