This guy raised 2 Wild Norway rats as pets VIDEO

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice video, Thanks for sharing.

I doubt the rats are wild rats, it is more likely that they were abandoned pet rats. They look like pet rats and do not have the startle reflexes that wild rats, and even half wildies, have. This startle reflex is inherent and necessary for survival

Many people do keep wild Norway rats and roof rats as pets because they have found orphans old enough to survive while being hand fed with formula.
There are also cases when escaped or abandoned female pet rats are rescued after becoming pregnant by a male wild rat. The half wild babies must be pets as they do not have the ability to survive in the wild.

Lilspaz68 and Jorats both have experience with half wildies.

Unfortunately the cage setups in this video are horrible .... wire floors, too small, and not well equipped. Plus rats should not be kept alone. :(

There is a video of them as youngsters too, as he found them in his yard. If you look at his channel, you can see them as youngsters and have him explain that they startled easily and also he explains ANY noise made them run.

They look like wild rats to me. I have a large mischief by my house and I watch them almost every day.

Back