The super official VEGAN RECIPE thread. Rat Shack Approved!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moon

Here it is, folks! The place to share your vegan recipes. I am going to get going with a few shortly (along with my favourite casserole recipe that I keep telling Jorats I will share with her, but keep forgetting to do, LOL)

If you are going to post a link, that's great, but any notes you have would be appreciated along with that, including a basic description of the recipe. Post your own recipes from your blog or copy down what you just made from memory - whatever! Just share!

Pics, reviews, changes you make to your tastes, whatever, is all super welcome!

I adore this soup. I make it pretty regularly and if you make it with the rice it's a complete meal. Obviously if you vegetable broth or water instead of chicken broth, it is vegan.

I don't typically put the rice in it, and we blend right smooth and reserve just about a cup to put back in chunky. It sounds odd with PB and salsa but it's so delicious.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-afri ... etail.aspx

My delicious cauliflower and potato soup.

4 cups water
2 bouillon cubes
1 1/2 cup cauliflower chopped
3 medium potatoes peeled and cubed.

Bring your water to a boil, dissolve onion bouillon in it.
Add potatoes and cauliflower. I also add a small handful of fresh spinach. (optional)
Boil until tender.
Add to food processor. Puree. And serve.

moving my recipe over here from the other thread:
Summer veggie stir fry

chopped onions
diced summer squash and zucchini
broccoli florets

favorite oil for stir frying (I am using peanut oil)

your choice of spices: garlic, oregano, basil.... I generally just use garlic and not a whole lot, I don't like a lot of spices.

stir fry the veggies, onions first, when they are starting to soften add the squash, then the broccoli.
when the veggies are almost done, toss in some chopped fresh tomatoes, OR a can of diced tomatoes, if you don't have fresh toms on hand.
Reduced temp, cover and let the toms cook down a bit til they are soupy (or if using canned toms just let them cook til hot)

You can vary the amounts of veggies depending on what you like best, I love the broccoli so I use a lot of that. You don't have to use the squash if you dont' have any (or just use one kind or the other- also I think you could add diced eggplant to this if you like eggplant) but the onions, broccoli and toms seem to me to be the mandatory ingredients. This combo is soooooooo good I have eaten this day after day during the summer when fresh broccoli, toms and squash are plentiful.

I used to put the dry grated parm cheese (that comes in a canister) on top but won't be buying that any more.
I wonder if nutritional yeast would taste good on this? I've never had it, but I've read that it's a common vegan cheese substitute.

this is great with couscous or rice or by itself. It freezes very well too. If you plan to freeze some, take it out of the pan before it's finished cooking so that when you reheat it later it doesn't turn to mush (although I've never minded it mushy either, the flavors of those veggies are just so good together)

Does anyone have any good soup recipes that dont need to be pureed or blended?

(small kitchen, no counter space... no such thing as a blender in my house, but all these soups sound TASTY)

You can use an immersion blender to puree most soups, they're often less than $20 and are small enough to store in a drawer.

Moon's recipe doesn't require a blender.

Petunia, that sounds yummy! Serve on a bed of rice and there's my full meal. I'm not a spice fan either so I'll be doing it like yours.
A vegan substitute for parm... crushed walnuts with nutritional yeast.

I just made Leek and Potato soup. OMG, so delicious.

2 tbsp. oil canola
4 to 5 russet potatoes peeled and roughly chopped ( I used regular white)
3 large leeks cleaned and thinly sliced
6 cups vegetable broth
salt to taste

Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the leek and potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have begun to soften and brown slightly, about 8 to 12 minutes.
Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low ad simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Blend until smooth.
Serve.

This is another great soup!

Creamy Vegan Split Pea Soup

7 cups water
1 1/2 cups yellow split peas
2 onions, chopped
1 head broccoli, coarsely chopped
3 carrots, sliced
2 zucchini, sliced (peel if desired)
1/2 cup tahini
3 -4 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin ( I didn't add this, I'm not a fan of cumin)
Directions:

1. In a large pot, combine 6 cups of the water and split peas and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Stir occasionally so they don't stick on the bottom.
3. Add the vegetables and simmer another 30-45 minutes, until the peas are very soft (depends on the age of the peas).
4. Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of water with the tahini and the remaining ingredients. If your tahini is quite thick, do this in the food processor or blender, much easier. Stir the tahini mixture into the soup and serve.( I didn't need a blender, it whisks together real good.)

hmm I wonder what it would be like if you left out:

1/2 cup tahini
3 -4 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin ( I didn't add this, I'm not a fan of cumin)
and the broccoli

cuz I only have the other ingredients :lol: but I want some of this NOW

This is a recipe that I have that is very easily made vegan by leaving out the chicken. It was called Pineapple Chicken, but what would you call it without? How about:

THAI PINEAPPLE VEGGIES
1 large onion
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
2 cloves of garlic, diced
3 cm of ginger, shredded/diced
3 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp tahini
1 can of coconut milk
1 can of pineapple pieces (I put the juice in too)
1 tbsp turmeric
salt to taste

Saute the veggies a bit first and then add everything else. Simmer for a bit to thicken. Serve over rice.

I think this would be great with whatever veggies you enjoy!

You guys are making me hungry! A good source of vegan recipes would be a South Indian cookbook. Almost all the recipes would be OK. My particular faves are Masala Dosa and Idli.

Stuffed Green Peppers

2 cups cooked rice
4 green peppers, cored
1 red onion chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup frozen veggie ground (optional)
1 big can tomato sauce

Brown your veggie ground. Sautee your onions with garlic, add to the veggie ground. Add cooked rice.
In a pan, pour 3/4 of the can of tomato sauce in the bottom. Stuff each green pepper with rice mixture, add a big spoonful of tomato sauce.
Cook at 350F for 40 minutes or until you can cut through the green pepper easily.

Joanne said:
What is veggie ground?

Faux-meat products that simulate ground beef. Yves is a popular brand, and President's Choice Blue Menu also does a version.

Or you can make your own with Textured Vegetable Protein.

My step-son gave me the recipe book "The Happy Herbivore" by Lindsay S. Nixon.. and one of my favorite recipes is from that book (which has lots of other good recipes too!)..

Hawaiian Chickpea Teriyaki

1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1 TBSP raw sugar

Combine ingredients in a large frying pan, and let it marinate for 5 minutes or more. Then cook over medium heat, until most liquid is absorbed. About 10 minutes.

Spoon over cooked rice.

And if you're adventurous, add a salsa topping made of:
pineapple, mango, minced onion, lime juice cilantro. (equal parts)

I usually leave out the cilantro, and sometimes the mango too.. very yummy..

jorats said:
My delicious cauliflower and potato soup.

4 cups water
2 bouillon cubes
1 1/2 cup cauliflower chopped
3 medium potatoes peeled and cubed.

Bring your water to a boil, dissolve onion bouillon in it.
Add potatoes and cauliflower. I also add a small handful of fresh spinach. (optional)
Boil until tender.
Add to food processor. Puree. And serve.

Made that tonight! It was indeed delicious! And the rats thought it was yummy too. :thumbup:

Back