The super official VEGAN RECIPE thread. Rat Shack Approved!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChrisK said:
My step-son gave me the recipe book "The Happy Herbivore" by Lindsay S. Nixon.. and one of my favorite recipes is from that book (which has lots of other good recipes too!)..

Hawaiian Chickpea Teriyaki

1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1 TBSP raw sugar

Combine ingredients in a large frying pan, and let it marinate for 5 minutes or more. Then cook over medium heat, until most liquid is absorbed. About 10 minutes.

Spoon over cooked rice.

And if you're adventurous, add a salsa topping made of:
pineapple, mango, minced onion, lime juice cilantro. (equal parts)

I usually leave out the cilantro, and sometimes the mango too.. very yummy..
I've got that cookbook too! And when I did this, it was most delicious. I added to rice and veggies.

Joanne said:
What is veggie ground?

fake ground beef
popular US brands include Boca and GimmeLean and Morningstar Farms
I like the Boca ground beef substitute, it's not cheap but is still less expensive than lean ground beef

arggg! I just noticed that Morningstar Farms fake ground beef has dairy products and eggs in it!!
I used to get their fake bacon strips for BLTs - they taste better than real bacon - just checked
nope, they are not vegan either, just vegetarian

pfffft
go figure!

I was very sad to find out the Yves "chicken" nuggets weren't vegan and have eggs in them. So some companies you do have to check. I think Yves ground round is vegan, though.

ANYWAY - New recipe!

I have been making this recipe pretty regularly for a few reasons.

It is cheap and I almost always have the ingredients on hand. The ingredients are all ones that last long in the fridge, even the leeks which at worst get a little wilty (but I still use). The ingredients are all pretty cheap too. It's an easy recipe to make, you really only need the most basic cooking skills to do it. If you can chop and stir and measure you're pretty much set. If you're wary of making the biscuit topping, you can just not bother. But you probably should bother. Every time I have made this I haven't bothered with the peas, and I think that I probably prefer it without them. But I should try it some time so I can be sure of that.

The only problem with this recipe is that it's fairly time intensive. If you don't start cooking dinner until you get home at 7, this recipe wont have you eating until 8:30. A lot of it is chopping time. Also, do not make this if you are expecting high falootin', fancy food! It's old fashioned grub that's meant to stick to your ribs. The flavour profile is pretty mild so you can probably feel free to add more seasonings that you think will fit. My husband and housemate both really like this meal. I also fed it to Zooy and her husband a few months ago and they seemed to enjoy it also. So even people who are a little scared of veggies can handle this baby.

Without further ado, the recipe for Leek and Bean Cassoulet from the popular cookbook Veganomicon. http://yeahthatveganshit.blogspot.ca/20 ... cuits.html

Oh! If you can, DO use veggie broth or bouillon. Tonight I made it with just water and it was definitely a bit bland. I just added more pepper and it certainly didn't ruin the meal.

This recipe is from the Veganomicon... it was awesome! Spinach Linguine With Basil-Cilantro Pesto and Artichokes

The Basil-Cilantro Pesto:
2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
1/3 cup slivered or sliced almonds ( I used walnuts because I'm allergic to almonds)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (from about 1/2 a lemon)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil

Place the basil, cilantro, almonds, garlic, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor and blend until pasty. With the food processor on, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Blend until relatively smooth.

On to the main recipe...

1/2 lb spinach linguine ( I used fetticini)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion sliced into thin half moons
4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
2 tbsp white cooking wine or broth or water ( I used water)
1/2 tsp salt
Several pinches of freshly ground black pepper
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and sliced in half.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the linguine according to package directions, usually about 10 minutes. Once you've added the pasta to the boiling water, continue with recipe
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and saute the onion in the olive oil until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for a minute more. Add the wine, salt and pepper and cook for another minute or two. Lower the heat to low. At this point, the linguine should be done.
When the linguine is ready, don't drain it. Use a pasta spoon to transfer it to the pan in batches. This is a good method because you can use the pasta water to thin out the pesto and make sure that everything gets evenly coated. When you add one batch, add a bit of the pesto too, and using the pasta spoon, saute to coat. Proceed with the rest of the pasta and pesto until you've added all of it. If it seems dry, add extra splashes of pasta water.
Add the artichoke hearts and toss to coat. Cook gently over low heat just until the artichokes are heated though, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately.

Wow, amazingly easy vegan recipes, I love it! I only have a weak blender and an immersion thingy for pureeing, but it sounds like I might be able to pull off some of these yummy soups! Thanks for the new thread, it is terrific! And yes, nutritional yeast and crushed walnuts are a super parmesan substitute. :)

mia9_28 said:
jorats said:
My delicious cauliflower and potato soup.

4 cups water
2 bouillon cubes
1 1/2 cup cauliflower chopped
3 medium potatoes peeled and cubed.

Bring your water to a boil, dissolve onion bouillon in it.
Add potatoes and cauliflower. I also add a small handful of fresh spinach. (optional)
Boil until tender.
Add to food processor. Puree. And serve.

Made that tonight! It was indeed delicious! And the rats thought it was yummy too. :thumbup:

I made this too, omg it was soooooo good! I plan to make this every week. Might even try adding a few carrots to it

Vladina said:
Wow, amazingly easy vegan recipes, I love it! I only have a weak blender and an immersion thingy for pureeing, but it sounds like I might be able to pull off some of these yummy soups! Thanks for the new thread, it is terrific! And yes, nutritional yeast and crushed walnuts are a super parmesan substitute. :)

me too, in regards to the blender- but it did ok with the cauliflower soup, I just made sure I mashed it up a bit first
I'm amazed at how well my blender does, I got it second hand from ebay for under $20 shipping included. Might check out eBay again when I need to upgrade
:sorry: :eek:fftopic:
I got a $70 cable modem on eBay for only $17 and change; so far I've done really well on eBay, the trick is to really read thru the seller's feedback, I think.
and part of it is probably just dumb luck :lol:

ChrisK said:
jorats said:
This recipe is from the Veganomicon... it was awesome! Spinach Linguine With Basil-Cilantro Pesto and Artichokes

Just finally tried this recipe tonight. It really IS awesome!! Definitely a keeper!
Me too! We really loved it - but I admit we un-veganed it by adding grated parmesan to the pesto... :oops:

It's a vegan cheese substitue. You can find it in health food stores and usually the organic pantry section of the supermarket. GREAT source of B-vitamins also.

Homemade Vegan Ice Cream:

Cut a ripe banana into pieces. Put the pieces in the freezer overnight.
Next day, put them in a blender or food processor and blend until it's smooth and creamy.

Bananas have a creamy texture, and this recipe will give you a very creamy frozen desert.

You can also add other ingredients to it if you like. i.e. frozen strawberries, or a bit of peanut butter, or chocolate, etc.

Oooh, I wish my tummy would allow me to eat bananas. That sounds so yummy!

My easy fast sweet dessert: melt vegan 55% dark chocolate in microwave. Meanwhile wash some raspberries, dry them and coat them with a bit of icing sugar, pour melted chocolate over them. Place in freezer for about 45 minutes. Eat.

Back