The Roly Poly Babies-The babies are 2 years old now :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt notice i posted the same video twice LOL

You can see how odd their bodies move near the beginning with willow in the green tube.
[BBvideo 450,375:3hm1nzfi]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en84KdftOfI&feature=youtu.be[/BBvideo:3hm1nzfi]

you can see roo still hops like he did as a baby. I think he is a bit different.
[BBvideo 450,375:3hm1nzfi]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knkaIWjHTEk&feature=youtu.be[/BBvideo:3hm1nzfi]

That one also has a view from above it shows them at a better angle.

It is like scoliosis in human they have curing of the spine. I just dont know if or what it will affect them. Been like that since birth.

The babies are doing well. Happy little buggers. I spent the morning with them on sunday and had battle wounds from Willow and her running up my arm to get behind me. She is fast. runs straight up my arm and I never even felt the rips in my skin lol

971257_10151456685826409_129031676_n.jpg

They appear to have bumble butt. Bed sores of the area that rubs or some major urine scald. A combo of it all I guess.
I wasnt sure what was happening with Willow. It is her side she leans on when she walks. It seems to get worse with paper in the cage So now i know not to use paper.

970998_10151454706346409_1412746479_n.jpg

She is healing and it looks a lot better now. I have resorted to having to wash them off in the sink with some dawn dish soap to help keep them clean.

I am going to be ordering some Vet bedding for them soon for now I am still using multiple blankets in their cage to help soften the cage. they live in a 47inch rabbit cage and I guess it is just hard enough to annoy their skin. It doesnt help that they spend most of their time on their backs so when they pee, it runs down them. They also drag their bodies through what pee is on the cage and they end up a mess.

Tomorrow they are going to see my other vet, I am excited she hasnt meet the babies yet so her point of view n them should be interesting to say the least.

Petunia had a brilliant idea with making them special hammocks. she made some out of the stuff they make cloth baby diapers out so it will hopefully help me figure out this phase of living with so many handicap babies. who are almost 6 months old LOL but I still call them the babies.

we went to a vet today they had an intern type person there today so I warned her she will learn a lot about rats from us. :laugh4: We talked about the babies and their condition. How they manage and so on. She also talked to me about a few meds to help them. Sadly we are going to try a topical for them since it is such a hard spot to keep clean. I cleaned roo last night and today, he was full of pee again. She agrees with shelagh that it is a urine scald that is getting annoyed with rubbing on the ground and of course that rubbing is just pulling any dirt off the cage. even though I keep their cage clean, i cannot keep it hospital status which is about what they need. the brats are messy butts for sure LOL.

I have an ointment which they use on rabbits and guinea pigs. It is called mupirocin. It creates a barrier which should help with keeping the urine from sticking. She does agree this will be life long with these guys but probably not something that happens frequently. I believe it triggered it when i tried shredded paper in their cage so we wont be doing that anymore LOL.

we also have a medicate wash to use for the baths when they have these flair ups. I have been torn on what to try but since it is urine I am dealing with I just dont think that the oral is enough. I will test it out and see how it goes on them. I am not thrilled with topical at all but I honestly cannot figure out a way to help this.

We weighed Willow, Lily and Roo.... they were all about 330g. Liam is a bit heavier so I would put him at about 400 or 450 g. Turtle who has always been considerable smaller was 246g. She is a tiny girl but the vet was even poking and petting her little belly. Other than that they seem healthy just the pee problems on their fur.......

I hope so I just washed roo with the shampoo and put a bit of that ointment on.....lets see if they leave it on the little buggers I fed them right after so I could try to distract them lol He is doing ok as far as the sore but I caught his super early so hopefully it will be an easier one to heal. I am going to just go ahead and order that bedding I cannot wait any longer.

Shannan posted pictures of Sheeva, Maude and Hippo :)

Still looks like that thing that loved to lay in the food bowl and eat like this :)
10181_630091466200_2073933885_n.jpg

179769_630091645840_1896482952_n.jpg

945775_630091575980_1676738968_n.jpg

941648_630091551030_596572389_n.jpg

I think hippo doesnt like maude on her
969807_630091570990_1452602382_n.jpg

Maude is the Irish girl that is was in the litter with Irish, Turtle, Lily, Barrett, and Hopper. She was one of the normal 3 babies that Noel had.
7856_630091670790_1810442115_n.jpg

969389_630091615900_772190963_n.jpg

Sheeva, is from Faiths litter.
10093_630091650830_881417740_n.jpg

Cooper climbed up by the babies cage and one of the bubs grabbed his tail he screamed like a girl but was fine. Shortly after I found Willow breathing fast and hard. She is still with me, her limbs have good coloring and temperature but I am very worried about my girl.

Liam was giving his sister kisses... Ok so he was actually licking her mouth after her meds.
945608_10151503806391409_657423930_n.jpg

I have been holding her for a while now. willow never sits still long enough for me to hold her. Sad moment.
1044429_10151503814836409_1290994548_n.jpg

I started her on heart meds and everything i can. She seems weaker on her left side when she pulls herself around, usually she zips but she is going very slow tonight.
1044806_10151503812006409_274941441_n.jpg

Keep her in your thoughts tonight. I am so worried about her.

oh no no no! :sad3:
please Willow hang in there little lady!

I didn't know she had a heart problem, or is that what you think may be wrong?

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

oh no! I always watch your videos from youtube when you post them. Those little ones are so adorable and you're such an amazing rat mom with them! Please keep us updated on her! :hugs: :heart: :cuddle: :cuddle:

She has had everything from pain meds to heart meds. I made her some ensure and she drank it. She is very ill but doesnt look dying to me. I am trying it all on her, i will take her back to the vet to see what is up with her. It can take a few days for the heart meds to kick in so i am just nursing her for now and hoping she has youth on her side. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have her, hopper and turtle in a small cage for the night they both love to cuddle and are the most mild of the six. I wont lie i am so worried though. She has always been so full of zest. I will update tomorrow.

She is moving around the cage and her heart beat is faster but it still sounds funny. It is not a normal heart beat. It was really slow earlier. She is also eating cheerios like they are going out of style. I think she will need to stay on the heart meds but so far this is a good thing.

She was pulling herself around earlier very slowly like her limbs didnt have the strength. but she is getting around a bit better. I am waiting on the video to upload so i will post it tomorrow. I am jsut happy for the improvement for the night. Go little willow.....

So happy to read that you think they're kicking in a bit. I hope she is back buzzing around soon. I've loved readin about all these babies and have become attached to them. You're amazing, what work you've put into caring for all of their little special needs

[BBvideo 450,375:39l5lkwj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8FbuBK7L5Y[/BBvideo:39l5lkwj]

here is the video of how bad she looked. She is zippy this morning. I put her back in with her siblings and she was hanging out at the cage door as usual.

Back