The Quick Question Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't see any improvements, I'd run back to the vet and beg for Zithro and Baytril.
In our past rats, a necro has shown long term zithro to actually shrink pulmonary adenomas. It can't cure it, it can only give him longer quality time with you.

:!??!??!:Where can I find instructions for taking apart a double level CN? May need to move one. Or, do you have any how-to's to offer? Thanks in advance!
JM

:!??!??!:Where can I find instructions for taking apart a double level CN? May need to move one. Or, do you have any how-to's to offer? Thanks in advance!
JM
If it is a Critter Nation, then there are no screws. It is all friction fit, so you need a nice rubber mallet and possibly a piece of 2 x 4. Whack gently until each piece pops apart. Take it apart top-down. The top-most piece tap straight up and off. Then you should be able to see how the other pieces are locked together with tabs and slots.
There no instructions on disassembly, but read the assembly instructions and reverse.

I am on my way to the vet but I was hoping someone else could give a little insight as to what is going on with this wee boy!?
This is his penis, its sticking out and very purple.
073f52600a25e8e7d75e20eb31a6c647.jpg

Oh dear, this is very serious. Paraphimosis is when the penis, which should be retracted, is protruding instead. A couple of my boys have had this problem after a neuter from the swelling. The big issue is that if his penis gets dried out and swollen, it may get to the point where he cannot urinate and THAT is life-threatening. Lubricate it with KY gelly (water-based) to keep it moist.
I hope you have already been to the vet and he is on the mend!

The vet wasn't confidently sure what to do. He's never seen it before in a rat. He said the same about lubing it. He (the rat) did retract it but it still stuck out a tiny bit. He (the vet) said to feed him high calorie foods as he's emaciated and showing signs he was dehydrated. They body scored him a 1.5 out of 5 :( he's super sweet and social with the other young boys so that's a super plus!
He did pee at the vet which was a good sign. He's also had a bowel movement. He's been eating pretty well. I got some organic baby foods to give him a little extra oompf!
Now he just needs a name!

c08dc45f1e20b72d308429a9935dcf20.jpg

1f3b16fbf5061f2762d40db41177c0ab.jpg

Last edited:
He would also benefit from an anti-inflammatory to try and help reduce the swelling to make it easier for the penis to retract. Keep it lubed!!!

I believe you mean my Wee-boy. He's doing well. He's been retracted for 30 full hours. His peeing is that of an infant and he pees all over himself but he is going. I have watched Odin and Porter grooming him but avoids his nether regions so I have been wiping him 2-3 times a day with a warmed baby wipe. He pees as I am wiping like a baby when a mother grooms them. I'm beginning to think he was taken from Momma waaaay too soon. He's also not sure how to treat other rats or people. He whines when groomed, doesn't quite get snuggling yet with the rats and with me he protests kisses and close cuddles. He wants to be off on his own.
But as far as the penile issue I believe we're on the road to full recovery and use. I haven't given him any advil since this morning as I don't want to dose him if he doesn't need it.
He is at least now identifying food and takes anything from my hands.

Leonard is not himself tonight. His breathing is a little labored, but he's clear as a bell. His feet are pink so it doesn't appear to be any kind of heart involvement either. He is very lethargic though and doesn't really have an appetite. He's just kind of holding the Yogie I gave him in his mouth. Any ideas?

Edit:
You can hear in the video he is not making any noise when breathing. Lungs are clear too.
[ame]https://vimeo.com/129630704[/ame]

Edit 2:
Please go here to answer. I started a separate thread.
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=476053

Last edited:
When lung capacity is diminished by a tumour, you won't hear anything at all. So it's hard to tell if it's a pulmonary abscess or something like PT. How old is he?

Ok it's my first day here....lol take it easy on me :) I'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but it is quick. I was browsing kijiji for guppies today and saw an ad from a rattery that made me do a double take. Has anyone heard of aaa rattery?

Interesting. The name starts with an A, they sound very professional yet their first few pics are of sox10 marked rats.....last clue, their website is on weebly where the first breeder I met had her site -.-

Interesting. The name starts with an A, they sound very professional yet their first few pics are of sox10 marked rats.....last clue, their website is on weebly where the first breeder I met had her site -.-

I think the business is named AAA because the breeders are: Alex, Alexander & Ashton

Clearly they are not very well versed in even the basics of breeding.
The only female that they are beeding has NO genetic history whatsoever. The breeding that has already taken place was between here and a sire that has NO genetic history either. So that's a litter with no background at all. Wonderful start there.
They also got the female they are breeding from a feeder breeder. l:
She just gave birth on August 7th and they are planning to get her knocked up again in the first week of October. Lovely.

Back