The gang don’t like hammocks/hanging toys!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It’s always sunny

hey all,
Got my boys 2/3 days ago. 8/9 weeks old. They are very keen on climbing the bars yet they won’t set foot on any suspended hammocks Bridges , sputniks , ropes, tunnels! These items are the majority of my cage and I have the whole place filled (so there are no falling risk areas).

I’ve made sure the hammocks don’t swing much at all and are close to the bars so not too much gymnastics is needed for them to get inside!

I’ve also added tasty treats But still no interest in anything but the ground and bar climbing!

I just want them to be happy so if they don’t like them I will just have to think of adding more solid platforms. But has anyone else had this initially and their ratties got used to them? Would it be cruel to place them on a hammock to show them it’s safe or is that cruel? It might just be scary and put them off I think.

Welcome to the forum :)
There is a lot of good information about a variety of topics in our Reference Thread https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Your boys have only been in their new home a few days.
Give them time to get used to their surroundings and I am sure they will try out hammocks as they gradually explore in a way that is comfortable to them.
If you post some pictures of your cage setup we may have some suggestions
https://www.ratshackforum.com/threa...file-changing-the-title-of-your-thread.37049/

Last edited:
Some solid levels like baskets zip tied to the sides may be helpful for now. They are also young, and haven't gotten confidence in their new home and surroundings yet. Also, to go with the info SQ gave you, check out www.joinrats.com for some good info. Welcome to the forum!

Sometimes it takes a while for rats to discover hammocks and how awesome they are to lay in. I've had hammocks in my cage for about three months, and then my one rat, Arthur suddenly started using them exclusively. Sometimes I forget and can't find him until the hammock moves and a rat appears... Doesn't help that his fur is curled just enough to resemble the inside of the hammock.

And I have found babies don't tend to like hammocks at first. My babies love to wall climb (especially if I'm nearby) and just run around. The ones I find in hammocks are old men lol. Although, this may be my experience and I may have abnormal experiences with my rats.

I remember once I brought home rescued babies and they didn't like the hammocks. I thought my rats were broken. lol But eventually, they got the hang of it and started to hang out in them.

Back