TETRACYCLINE(Fish antibiotics) for rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jennifer_77 said:
trihkal said:
While it seems there's a uri and myco flair up we don't know the full extent of what is going on with your girls. It's really important that they see a vet and are able to get properly diagnosed. I hear you have no money but maybe you could call the vets and see if they are willing to work on something with you. Good luck.

Unfortunately, I have called every vet recommended for rats as well as dog and cat vets (none of which are willing to treat them). No one will work with me. No one will cut me a break on price or do a payment plan. I have to medicate myself, I have no choice.

What I can tell you, if my older myco girl who has been on meds for 7 days (as of tonight) is much, much better. I'm pretty sure it's myco flairups. The symptoms are coming and going in the younger girls like they did in my older myco girls when they were younger. They are also the same symptoms my older myco girls always had, and the one baby from the breeder still has no symptoms. I would think, if it were a URI, she would also get sick.

Just cause the breeder rat is not sick doesn't mean the others don't have some sort of respiratory infection/issue (upper, lower, or pneumonia) If she is from a ethical breeder it would be expected that one of their main goals is health and the breeder could have been working with lines with better respiratory health.

Almost all rats have Myco - the issue is that it flares up with other infections.

Would also like to add younger rats are less likely to show symptoms so your baby could have the same issues but not be showing it as much as your oldie who is more likely to exhibit more server symptoms . I would be sure to treat everyone and make sure to let the abs run their full course to ensure it doesn't come back stronger and more resistant. Good luck!

KsK said:
Jennifer_77 said:
trihkal said:
While it seems there's a uri and myco flair up we don't know the full extent of what is going on with your girls. It's really important that they see a vet and are able to get properly diagnosed. I hear you have no money but maybe you could call the vets and see if they are willing to work on something with you. Good luck.

Unfortunately, I have called every vet recommended for rats as well as dog and cat vets (none of which are willing to treat them). No one will work with me. No one will cut me a break on price or do a payment plan. I have to medicate myself, I have no choice.

What I can tell you, if my older myco girl who has been on meds for 7 days (as of tonight) is much, much better. I'm pretty sure it's myco flairups. The symptoms are coming and going in the younger girls like they did in my older myco girls when they were younger. They are also the same symptoms my older myco girls always had, and the one baby from the breeder still has no symptoms. I would think, if it were a URI, she would also get sick.

Just cause the breeder rat is not sick doesn't mean the others don't have some sort of respiratory infection/issue (upper, lower, or pneumonia) If she is from a ethical breeder it would be expected that one of their main goals is health and the breeder could have been working with lines with better respiratory health.

Almost all rats have Myco - the issue is that it flares up with other infections.

I am aware that the issue is flareups and other complications. I know that the girls are sick (as I said, only one isn't showing symptoms). I have had rats for much of my life and I have always treated them at the vet when they had issues. I hate not being able to do it at this point, but I can't seem to find a way around it.

trihkal said:
Would also like to add younger rats are less likely to show symptoms so your baby could have the same issues but not be showing it as much as your oldie who is more likely to exhibit more server symptoms . I would be sure to treat everyone and make sure to let the abs run their full course to ensure it doesn't come back stronger and more resistant. Good luck!

Thank you! I was planning to treat all to be safe. I will make sure to do the full course for each! Thank you for the advice!

I only treat symptomatic rats. I don't like to medicate rats "just in case" unless they show symptoms unless I know I have a serious virus going through my colony. Rats get sick depending on their weaker immune system , whether they be rescues or breeders.

I agree with lilspaz, only treat the sick rats. If they aren't showing symptoms, let them get through it. I've always had big colonies and when one or two will get sick, the rest of the colony doesn't. So it all depends on the rats immune system.

This might be a long shot, but call the local shelters to see if perhaps they can help you out with medications. I know that some have meds and depending on the rescue they could be willing to help given your situation.

Back