Terrible bumblefoot

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UhHuhHer

This is in "Other Companions" because it's about a guinea pig. She came to us with a severe infection in her feet. They are swollen and scabbed and full of pus. She has an antibiotic, but it's still very painful. We soaked her feet in epsom salt and warm water and dabbed them with peroxide and that seemed to have helped some, but is this something we can repeat? Is there anything else we can do for her?

Don't use peroxide, it kills healthy tissue. The epsom soaks are fine. Is she on probiotics? Pain meds? Keep her cage floor well padded and change daily. My vet usually prescribed Soother Plus ointment for bumblefoot. Guinea Lynx will probably have better species specific advice for you.

Thank you so much. No more peroxide, but we will keep up the epsom soaks. She seemed to enjoy that a lot anyway. The medication the doctor gave us is an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. It's topical, so we have to rub it on her feet twice a day. We're going back for new medication after Christmas though. The doctor gave it to us hoping to ease her pain some, thinking she wouldn't be with us long, but she's made quite a come back. We don't have pain meds for her. I can ask my vet about Soother Plus or Guinea Lynx. My sister and I are in a little over our heads. We took her in not realizing the condition she was in, and this is something neither of us had dealt with before. So, I really appreciate your help.

Guinea Lynx is a forum :) Soother Plus you can get at some vets or you can buy it online. Not sure where to get it in the US. I would start probiotics now to help boost her immune system and perhaps prevent GI issues if you start oral abs eventually.

Well, there you go. That's how uninformed I am here. :)

I will email my vet after the holiday. It'll be opened the day after Christmas, so we can get in the morning of the 26th. We'd like to her her on some better medication ASAP, seeing as we're looking at a longer life expectancy now.

Back