Temporary cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

:bananas:

Okay, now that's out of my system...

After reading Joanne's intro thread a few hundred times (just to make sure it's engrained) it seems I'll need to buy a cage for the new girl to live in from a week to a month or more. I have a travel cage for the girls but that would be too small.

What cage should I buy? Keeping in mind I'm an unemployed student. :lol:

For a single rat, it's not too difficult. The SuperPet My First Home for Rats would be fine for a single for a while. It will also do well for a future QT cage, Hospital cage, or if you ever need to separate anyone for a bit.

Since you're speaking of intros and such, I'm assuming you won't be able to have proper quarantine. You can do a sort of QT, keeping the new rat in another room from your residents. You'll want to change clothes, or atleast wash your hands before interacting with your resident rats. You could handle the new rat first, then do all of this, and then handle your residents with no worries.

While in house QT doesn't protect from airborne diseases, following the above practices will keep your residents from contracting mites/lice and common URI bacteria. I believe a rat sneeze can travel for 10-15ft, so keeping the newbie atleast in another room should help against that. I would also suggest waiting atleast a week before trying intros to make sure that the new rat is in good health and won't pass anything off to your residents.

Thanks for the tips! :D I'll be sure to check this cage out. My current girls are in my bedroom so I'll put the newcomer in the living room. :) I'm limited in an apartment, lol.

I was sitting here and none of my blogs have updated for the day, so I went searching for ya, heh. I don't know if you've got a Petsmart nearby, but that's where I always find the SuperPet cages.

The My First Home is just a plain cage with 1/2" bar spacing. You would need to spruce it up to make it a better living space for her. It's 30"x18", though. Retails $36 USD.

Deluxe Rat My First Home has a small shelf and a ramp, and that ridiculously deep food cup. It's only 24.5" x 12.5". Retails $40 USD.

Thanks! :)

My current two girls came to me in the Deluxe version, heh, that's the one they detroyed, the little buggers. I haven't seen a Petsmart or Super Pet yet in Guelph but there is a large pet store really close to my house, I'll browse around there tomorrow! :)

Hey Bronwyn,

Have you been to Ren's Pets Depot on brock road (just take gordon south until it turns into brock road)? They have small animal stuff as well as super pet cages.

Tara

Ooo I haven't! I'll try and make a stop there tomorrow! I'm going to check out the Value Village for towels and such, it'll be a long rat shopping day. ;)

Back