teeth trims

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

church

Curious to know if and how often any of your ratties have to go to the dr for a tooth trim. The procedure isn't expensive, but I'm sure it's terrifying to them.

I have one older male who will have to go for his second trim this month and i just got a clear glimpse of a younger female who's bottom teeth have to be at least 12mm :(

I seldom, if ever, hear them chewing things to work on them themselves..... I don't think i'm providing good enough chew toys. Does anyone have something that really works for them? .

Mine like wood and Lava blocks/slabs.! Mine haven't needed a tooth trim yet even though one isn't a big chewer. She keeps her teeth just short enough to keep her comfortable and doesn't do any more then that.!

Bird toys are PERFECT additions to rat cages, as these toys are meant to be torn to shreds. There are some small animal chew toys for sale as well, but for whatever reason, so many of them seem to forgo function over fashion. One of my rats, Lil Chu, struggled with keeping his nails and teeth short. When they're old, they sometimes don't chew as much. Lava blocks and other wooden toys are a perfect recommendation, but if the rat isn't a chewer, bruxing sometimes just doesn't cut it.

While I don't recommend just anyone do this, I had to clip Lil Chu's teeth, just to give him some comfort until we could see the vet. He was INCREDIBLY patient with me and sat still while I snipped off a few mm. I clipped Lil Chu's teeth as necessary (which was only once, because he was euthanized for poor life quality), but he was also very patient with me and let me do it. Not every rat will do this.

with tooth trims you only need to do it if the teeth are misaligned and/or growing unevenly. IF the teeth are straight across the tops and bottoms they are normal no matter how long they look. Bruxxing is how rats keep their teeth ground down properly but chew toys are fun for their mind.

Here you can see Zoey's teeth that are straight across. Some teeth will look longer than others, just depends on the rat :)
Zoeysteethsep27.jpg~original

Jeffrey’s got one bottom tooth that’s white and twice as long as the other one atm. I’m taking him in tomorrow. He’s had that one trimmed once before.

I guess Bee is okay, her fangs are long but the even... and she doesn’t have any problems or issues except for when her sister is being an annoying brat :D

His top incisors are really crooked sideways coming down. Doc didn’t say anything about that but I wonder if that’s a malocclusion...

that is absolutely malocclusion. He will need trims every 3-6 weeks depending on the severity and how short and well your vet burrs down the teeth.

Angel's teeth before her trim
Angelsteeth2.jpg~original

Angel's teeth after her trim
Angeldayoftrimsep30.jpg~original

O wow thank you for taking the time to write about this. The 3-6 weeks is exactly what it “looked like” he needed. Now I know why. What I have learned with rats is everything happens fast and you have got to be paying attention. Your little one are so docile to take such great tooth pictures. They sure are comfortable with you. Speaks volumes.

...maybe I can be quick enough to get a picture...

Last edited:
Back