Teeth issue

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitcat920

I have a dwarf rat named Gizmo that had lost a bit of weight so I took him to the vet, about a week ago. While he was there the vet said his teeth looked fine. Looking at him today I noticed his mouth open and his teeth are crooked. They look like it’s going into his cheek. Can this happen in a short period of time? I will set up a vet appointment but I don’t want to waste money if I can solve it on my own. I added a picture if it helps, thank you!

Attachments

• F900120C-D2EC-4836-9FB9-E25F75C6DCDF.jpeg
    F900120C-D2EC-4836-9FB9-E25F75C6DCDF.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 140
  • B95BBDE2-3CCD-4B72-8D4B-8C952836D06E.jpeg
    B95BBDE2-3CCD-4B72-8D4B-8C952836D06E.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 136
Oh ouch ...poor Gizmo. Hes got a definite malloclusion. Normally incisors grow straight and each tooth grinds down equally on the opposing tooth. Normal teeth are straight across the tops. Malloclusion where the teeth grow crookedly and can grow unopposed or only grinding on one side, can be caused by genetics, trauma (a fall or injury), and even age where the ligament that holds the bottom mandible together stretches.
Gizmo will need an immediate tooth trimming at your vets. The best way is they lightly anesthetize your rat and using a special dental tool, grind or burr the teeth down. Clipping is less desirable as it can end up with a fractured tooth, but can be done at home in an emergency. Depending on the reason, sometimes (rarely) a malloclusion will resolve in a few trims but most rats will need a trim every 4-6 weeks for the rest of their life.

Can this happen in a week? Like I said the vet said it was ok a week ago. I’m also nervous putting him under anesthesia, I don’t want to lose him.

You will have to hold up his lips to see whats going on in there. If you find a tooth cutting, growing into, or about to grow into the lip/gums it probably cant wait a week

No I mean that can this teeth going from normal to misaligned happen in a week? I’m going to take him in this week. However last week the vet saw him and said his teeth were perfect. I don’t understand what could have happened in this short amount of time.

Back