Tanner and his internal mass - RIP my sweet boy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you know from the title, Tanner is still with me.

The poor lad is breathing very heavily and looks tired, but he stills kind of cheers up and still eats his meds like a champ. He can eat soft food or small pieces of solid foods from a bowl, but it's getting harder for him, so I started syringe feeding him yesterday to get his belly a little fuller, and he seems to enjoy that. The mass is getting visible now, in the sense that it is starting to push his inside on the side... poor, poor little Tanner. :sad3: And to top it all, his body temperature is slowly cooling down... tomorrow morning cannot come fast enough!!!

I did contact Victoria's vet, and he is willing to meet Tanner tomorrow morning and see if there is anything that can be done. I sent my contact information by email to him so he can start opening the file for us, and mentionned him that if the operation was a no-go, then Tanner was to be euthanized right there and then. I started that wheel turning, and I will follow it through, but if it has to stop, I refuse to put my boy through more suffering.

Please send healing vibes to my little boy. And Great-One Above... I know I can't ask no more of you, but you made that miracle happen the first time... if you can see my boy through this, I will be forever grateful... :bow:

:hugs: to you & scritches for Tanner (& Hunter too, just cause) - I hope the other vet can help! If not, he's lived a great life with you & I know you'll do the right thing for him when the time comes. Hopefully it's later rather than sooner. :cuddle:

My fingers and lots of paws are crossed here, that they can do a abscess empty-out and stop it from pressing on his bits and bobs inside. Maybe they can put antibiotic beads inside the abscess cavity like they did with Tonka?

((hugs))

Thank you everyone :hugs: We really are hoping for the best turnout, eventhough my hope slims by the day.

lilspaz68 said:
Maybe they can put antibiotic beads inside the abscess cavity like they did with Tonka?
That is exactly what I had in mind. Give the oral abs an internal boost...

I had an appointment with my vet today for Jay and Hunter, and I got the explanation for their answer. She said that from palpating the mass, it felt much more like a tumour (fibre tissues and stuff) than an abcess. :sad3: And she also was under the impression I wanted the mass removed... Next time, I will DEMAND to talk to the vet directly, I wouldn't be in a limbo between two vets if I had done it. I didn't even have to ask, after she said it was impossible to remove and saw I understood it, she told me herself that she could do an exploratory surgery and, given I grant permission before hand, they could euthanize him on the table if it turned out she was right and it was a tumour, so nothing to be removed.

Dah.

Still going to Dr Brieger tomorrow. I will write him a email right away with what I was told... and see what he says.

I knew it wasn't like my vet to just say no and turn her back.

:hugs: I am so sorry for all that you are going through :hugs: Sending good vibes that the Doctor will be able to help Tanner feel more comfortable. :heart:

Change in plans...

Following in my email to Dr Brieger last night, I told him I felt we needed to move fast and that I would want to put Tanner under explorative surgery ASAP. Sadly, he called me this morning and this is a crazy day for him - he is currently buying the clinic and between his vet schedules and planned meetings today regarding the transaction, he won't have time. Since Tanner's interest is what we all have at heart, we decided to postpone this morning's appointment so I can call my regular vet and try to get him in today. If that is not possible, he saved a small opening for me at 12:30 so he can do a quick assessment and if he believes we can go ahead with the exploratory surgery, Tanner has a spot blocked at 1:30 pm tomorrow. That means he would be spending the night over there, but then again, maybe he could be put in some oxygenated area that would help him, so it wouldn't be too bad???

I will be calling the clinic shortly as they open at 10. Wish us luck!!!!

Good news is, the vet on location today is Dr Saulnier, who does all abdominal rat surgery as my vet hates doing them, and who saved Tanner the very first time. :joy:

Bad news are - Since she is the only vet around, schedule is overloaded :cry4: ; other bad news - the vet on location tomorrow is allergic to rats, and I wouldn't deal with her to start with anyways.

The receptionist was going in a meeting with the vet and whole team at 10:15 and told me she would bring it up. I REALLY hope that the fact that this is Tanner and that Dr Saulnier has a special bond with him will help him get an opening... PLEASE CROSS YOUR FINGERS FOR US!!!!

They made room for Tanner!!! :joy:

They are moving appointments around and there will be an opening for emergency surgery at 3 pm today. I'm all excited right now, but I will soon start to realize this might as well be my last hour with him, as I need to drop him off around noon...

What an ordeal... so much hope right now after being so low... will I crash in tears or burst in happiness? We'll have an idea by early evening...

Back