Tank for Babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Username

I'm getting a 15 gallon tank to temporarily house the babies, as they're too small for rat cages at this point, and would be able to slip through the bars.
How would you guys recommend I do up the inside? What should I do in terms of roofing? Is taking the lid off just fine, or should I modify it to suit rats? How would I do that?
TIA

Rats need a lot of air circulation which is one of several reasons why tanks are not suitable ....... they will need a grid on top of the tank for air circulation and safety ..... some people use tanks as maternity cages until babies are 2 weeks old and then move them to a cage.

I house babies in a critter nation cage or a martins powder coated cage ....... I have had newborn babies in critter nation cages - although one time I had the nest in a large litter box so it had sides that contained them ..... and my present babies are in a CN with a high sided pan (2.5 in)

Instead of a tank, have you considered making a large bin cage, that way you can put a grid in one side as well as the top for more air circulation. You can make it larger then a tank. They are a pain to clean as no removable pan but a tank would have the same problem. See http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2279&highlight=bin+Cage If I were to make it again I would only have a grid on one of the long sides ..... I used baking cooling racks for the cage bars but some people use hardware cloth

Yeah, I'd read that. I know it's not best for them in the long run, but right now they're in a shoe box, and I can get the tank for $15. As their heads are the same width as my thumb, they can push through most cage sidings with ease, so I need something that's secure. I'll have to look into making a bin cage, especially if my housemates get used to them being here and they can stay, but this is more just for the moment, to get them out of the box and into an enclosure with a bit more space and light.
I'd also found a couple sites that, while stating there were problems, a 15+ gallon tank would house two adult rats adequately. I additionally read that they're often used for raising litters, and as hospital or quarantine spaces, so I figured it would be fine until they're too big to get through the bars on a normal cage. Was I mistaken? I want them to be happy and healthy, so if this is the wrong way to go, I'll have to think of something else.

a tank is not suitable for rats, although some will use it for a nursing mama until babies have their eyes open, then they move to a cage where they can run and play and explore. Plus as said tanks do not have necessary air circulation and thus rats can get lung damage.
The person who gave that info knows little about rats. Rat cages need to be at least 4 cubic feet in size with a base of at least 30 in by 18 in and height with levels. .... larger if you have more then 2 rats.

Some cages do have bar spacing that is safe for babies.
Here is a small bin cage that I made to use as a carrier out of a rubbermade bin ... it is too small to hold a wheel etc but is likely bigger then the tank and has grids for ait circulation. Likely would not be very expensive .... bin, 2 baking cooling racks (lid and side), exacto knife & zip/cable ties (dollar store) and screwdriver or something to poke holes through the plastic bin ... as you can see the cooling rack is on the inside of the hole

Some cooling racks have spacing too tiny for babies to get out .... or people use hardware cloth (metal mesh) from a hardware store and it has very small spacing .... see this cage a member made for pet mice using hardware cloth [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9EN-Qeuvoo&list=UU0OVjeYhGVNAhdliNQIdUXA&index=233[/ame]

bin carrier.jpg

Last edited:
Back