Taller or wider cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balladofdusk

I'm currently looking for a cage for my new babies. My budget for a cage isn't huge so I can't afford a critter nation, and I cannot build my own. Currently I have them in a temporary cage that's a bit small so I'd like to order one ASAP, preferably tomorrow. :D

I've seen some nice big ones but I'm torn on one thing. Some are very tall but not very wide, others are very wide but not very tall. There aren't any that are exactly equally tall/wide. I never really gave much thought for this until now and I would just go for the one that has the most space both ways. Would you go with a cage that has more floor room or one that can have more levels and hanging toys added? Or would it matter to you?

EDIT:
I found this bird cage. The dimensions are 101H x 54L x 46W. If I modified it a bit by adding some DIY levels, do you think this would do for my two girls?

17428_PLA_Vogelkaefig_Amilo_Vogelbauer_02_1.jpg

Last edited:
A rat cage for 2 rats must be at least 4 cubic feet in size but bigger is better
and a rat cage needs to have a base that is at least 30 inches (73 cm) by 18 inches (46 cm) with height with levels - but bigger is better

Horizontal space is very important for rats
a 40 inch long rabbit cage with 2 homemade levels makes a good rat cage but will need to be covered with hardware cloth on the outside if the rats are small

There are cage calculators that can help you figure out the number of cubic feet
such as http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

Last edited:
Thanks for the calculator link, it really helps as I have dyscalculia so figuring out cage measurements has always been a mess for me. :D
I saw somewhere online that someone used the cage I posted earlier and liked it but I decided against it after reading some reviews that it seemed a bit fragile. I settled for another one that should be perfect for the girls, hopefully. It's big and spacious and others have said it would be just fine for two female rats. Very excited, can't wait for it to arrive!

Back