Tall Cage vs. Long Cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan2333

I am looking for a bigger rat cage but am undecided between a taller one that has 1-2 levels or one that is longer, giving them more area to roam.

For examples of a taller one - the Critter Nation single unit
T650231_99

All Living Things Multi-level
pPETNA-5209800_main_enh.jpg

or a long one - Living World Deluxe Habitat
7594d603-859e-40f8-9e19-6a2acd2ca600

What type of cage do rats generally prefer?

Last edited:
in my experience, they prefer taller to wider, esp the girls and younger rats who love to climb

older rats and maybe some boy rats, don't care as much about that.

The critter nation is the best for every day living and the easiest the clean. That deluxe habitat your showing is what we use for a "hospital" cage when a rattie needs separation do to illiness, injury, or surgery for a couple days. Small and limits their movement. With the critter nation you will have room for hideouts, liter boxes, hammocks, etc. You can always start with a single and add on, but its cheaper to buy a double. You can use a double as a single if you like.

Tall cages also take up less floor space. After getting a critter nation, I cannot stand to clean any other type of cage. It's wonderful not to have to bend your arms in unnatural positions!

Ariana

I find that they love the horizontal space ..... so I have two double critter nation cages connected so their cage is 6 feet long by 2 feet wide.
they love having hammocks hung from one end of the cage to the other, as well as tubes going from one small level to the one on the other side

Back