Tail infection

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingCastaway

I'm beating myself up about this now. :emb:

In November Skinner developed a tail infection, because it wasn't bad and I'm forgetful, I only put meds on it a few times. After awhile it seemed to go away. However, it was simply festering, and now he has holes in his tail!
886466_10151263248902820_921057861_o.jpg

Poor thing has had a rough night. I removed his scabs to air the wounds out and put anti biotics on his tail, now his brother is grooming and snuggling him.

Any idea what's causing this?

I don't know much about tail infections. I would think that you may be able to soak it in a saline solution to help with 'drawing out' the infection. I would use caution with any topical antibacterials as the rats may ingest them. If you think he is in pain, you should probably give him some metacam for comfort.

I agree. Soak that as it seems to have the infection 'under' the skin of the tail. Take warm, not hot, water and add Epsom salts. Soak the tail for at least ten minutes a day and you will see a difference.

He will really need an oral antibiotic to combat this. These infections can go bad fast. I have seen some horrible tail infections. If you are going to soak it look up a saline solution soak. The salt will help it.

Oh, owie! Poor baby, keep an eye on that!

I'd suggest gotu kola extract (the most antibacterial substance I have ever found! Cured an infection in my face that I think was MRSA in a day) but it stings REALLY BAD and I don't know if it'd be a good idea to put it on a rat. It's safe for human ingestion, but idk about rodents.

Another one you could try would be Neem oil mixed with clove oil. Doesn't sting, but stinks! This mixture can also cure the worst infections-my sister had a serious infection in her toe (also suspect MRSA) and it healed it overnight. She got an ear infection and it worked so well it actually closed her earring hole that she had had for 6 or 7 years! I think this one would probably be better than gotu kola and probably safer than over-the-counter antibiotics as it's a natural remedy.

Definitely take him to a vet and get some antibiotics. I've never had this experience, but I know that others have had a real challenge with tail infections. There may be an old thread under the Health section.

That looks a lot more than just a topical treatment type of infection and I would definitely go the vet for oral antibiotics and pain meds...tails can be terribly painful.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Since it doesn't seem to be causing him pain unless I pick at it, I'm going to try the salt solution to try and draw out the infection. If it doesn't work I'll bring him to the vet.

I really hope you start seeing an improvement. That looks terrible. I would really recommend a vet visit sooner rather than later though. Serious infections can cause some serious problems before it shows any real signs.

Oh my! I didnt know rats could get tail infections like that? What can cause this? D: My girls tail si always filthy since she never cleans it and reallt hate water.. now I am paranoid she will get an infection though. D:

Cinderwolf said:
Oh my! I didnt know rats could get tail infections like that? What can cause this? D: My girls tail si always filthy since she never cleans it and reallt hate water.. now I am paranoid she will get an infection though. D:

I'm fairly certain it was a bite wound gone wrong, or a scratch. Skinner's tail was also always filthy, and something might have gotten in it from the cage. I keep( my old cage that is, I have a new one now) fairly clean, it was difficult to clean it because of my extreme allergies, I've even passed out from cleaning it before. The new cage is much better.

I'd just do what I DIDN'T: If you notice an infection treat it right away, don't figure it will clear up on it's own!

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about :) , and Skinner's tail actually looked much better yesterday after giving it a full clean out, less red and rashy anyway.

Back