Symptoms of severe ear infection?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so very sorry had some real life rat emergencies to take care of so I missed your post.

Sudden and severe inner ear infection, could be head tilt, circling, falling over, nystagmus of the eyes (where they twitch).

In these cases antibiotics and steroids if possible are needed ASAP. If you cannot get steroids, giving NSAID's for a few days to combat the discomfort is better than nothing (Metacam/meloxicam or infant liquid ibuprofen)

Otis media is inflammation of the middle ear
Otis interna/labyrinthitis is inflammation of the inner ear and structures.

From ratguide.com
Otitis media and interna often develop when bacteria, such as Mycoplasma pulmonis, Streptobacillus moniliformis, or Psuedomonas aeruginosa, and viruses travel from the naso-pharynx through the Eustachian tubes to involve the lining of the ear. As the infection progresses to involve the labyrinth structure of the inner ear, inflammation to the vestibular nerve and swelling of the surrounding tissues results in “torticollis” or a tilting of the head. This tilting is most often directed towards the side of the affected ear. It is sometimes referred to as “Head Tilt”

Synulox is good. Flagyl could definitely be hit and miss. Flagyl is effective against aneorobic bacteria or bacteria that doesn't need oxygen. Most bacteria is aerobic.

The ear infection has been cured, but the antibiotic combination has to be continued for 1 week.

One of her pupils is smaller than the other one and this could be a first sign of a pituitary tumor. Or it could have something to do with her being a husky rat. (She saw it after I insisted)

I am going to give Finilac for 2 weeks to see if it has effect and then I will consult the veterinary again.

She said that Finilac starts to work in a few (3) days. Is that accurate?

And she said that dexamethasone could cause shock when potassium levels get too low or high?

Back