Symptoms of severe ear infection?

Nathan

What are the symptoms when a rat has a severe middle / inner ear infection? And how fast would the situation typically deteriorate?

lilspaz68

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
so very sorry had some real life rat emergencies to take care of so I missed your post.

Sudden and severe inner ear infection, could be head tilt, circling, falling over, nystagmus of the eyes (where they twitch).

In these cases antibiotics and steroids if possible are needed ASAP. If you cannot get steroids, giving NSAID's for a few days to combat the discomfort is better than nothing (Metacam/meloxicam or infant liquid ibuprofen)

Nathan

Thank you for answering.

How do otitis media and otitis interna / labyrinthitis differ from each other?

Have you ever heard of otitis interna / labyrinthitis causing meningitis?

lilspaz68

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Otis media is inflammation of the middle ear
Otis interna/labyrinthitis is inflammation of the inner ear and structures.

From ratguide.com
Otitis media and interna often develop when bacteria, such as Mycoplasma pulmonis, Streptobacillus moniliformis, or Psuedomonas aeruginosa, and viruses travel from the naso-pharynx through the Eustachian tubes to involve the lining of the ear. As the infection progresses to involve the labyrinth structure of the inner ear, inflammation to the vestibular nerve and swelling of the surrounding tissues results in “torticollis” or a tilting of the head. This tilting is most often directed towards the side of the affected ear. It is sometimes referred to as “Head Tilt”

lilspaz68

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Synulox is good. Flagyl could definitely be hit and miss. Flagyl is effective against aneorobic bacteria or bacteria that doesn't need oxygen. Most bacteria is aerobic.

Nathan

I have to give 0.25 ml of both twice a day. Next appointment is on the 1st of September.

Synulox 40/10 mg/ml
Flagyl 20 ml 100 ml suspension

She weighs 500 grams.

Nathan

The ear infection has been cured, but the antibiotic combination has to be continued for 1 week.

One of her pupils is smaller than the other one and this could be a first sign of a pituitary tumor. Or it could have something to do with her being a husky rat. (She saw it after I insisted)

I am going to give Finilac for 2 weeks to see if it has effect and then I will consult the veterinary again.

She said that Finilac starts to work in a few (3) days. Is that accurate?

And she said that dexamethasone could cause shock when potassium levels get too low or high?

lilspaz68

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Finilac is cabergoline, which is used for treatment of PT. BUT it will only work on the most common of rat PT's which is the prolactinoma.

Nathan

Do you know if this dosage is right: 0.5 ml per day.

Finilac 50 µg/ml

Latest posts