Switching milks?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! My name is Sam, i have had an orphaned baby roof rat for about a week now. I have had him slowly introduced to raw goats milk and he seems to be doing well on it. He’s very active and digests it well. But after some research I see soy based human formula is best for him and the goats milk may not have enough fat. Should I switch him over to the soy formula? I would use mammal electrolytes in between for the transition but I don’t want to shock his digestive system by switching him to three milks (moms-goat-soy) within three weeks of life. Please let me know what you guys think thank you! Also how do I tell if it’s a boy or girl? No gonads but I don’t know if it’s too early to see them. Thanks again for any help!

I would say switch as soon as you can, it might make the poop more liquid than normal for a little but getting them on the proper milk is essential for survival, orphaned rats often die even with the best care so if they do pass don't beat yourself up too much. If you can send some photos of their belly/unders people here can help you identify the gender !

Back