Surprise! Mixed Intact Sexes are Just Not a Good Idea 11/14

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Mixed intact sexes of rats in your home? It’s just never a good idea. You have to be hyper-vigilant at all times, make sure both your girls and your boys cages will not allow a wee girl to squeeze through when she’s in the “throes of passion”. Even keeping them in separate rooms is not foolproof as rats will do anything to get together. It is best to alter one of the sexes if possible. I was looking into Ovariectomies for some of my girls but had to wait and see how Loki’s went (since she’s the first one Dr Munn has done).

Since I made the decision to start taking in more boys and ended up with the 28 RTR boys soon after this decision was made, my life has been fraught with a lot of uncertainty. You try to make sure everyone is away during Out time before letting the opposite sexes out, but every once in awhile something happens. :doh:

Alana is my escapee girl from the Keiran crew and she must’ve slipped out as the rest of the crew were launching themselves at the cage door when I was filling up their food bowl. I found her outside her cage an hour later, and put her back inside. I went into the livingroom where Zeus and Thomas were running and called their names...they came bouncing up right away, so I assumed they hadn’t gotten through the barrier into the bedroom (but have been known to hop over it sometimes). Then I forgot about it. She hid her pregnancy well, since she’s always been a round little girl. Last night I was filling waterbottles when I heard the inimitable “eep, eep”. I found Alana protecting her babies from the other girls, and pulled her out with her 12 healthy bubs. Sigh :/

So I now have 12 little eepers who shouldn’t be here and only myself to blame. I shouldn’t have opened that particular cage when the boys were out in the other room, etc. A comedy of errors.
Alana after a scary start of ignoring her babies last night, has sorted things out and she’s being a very good mom, diligently licking butts and standing over them to allow better access to her nipples when feeding. She also doesn’t mind at all when I touch them, which is really good :D

Welcome to the world wee ones, I will try to make sure your passage through it is as safe and happy as possible.

Alana their mom
sep27Alana.jpg

The family (2-3 are light eyed, the rest are dark)
sep26eepers.jpg

And one baby has worried me with this dark red, unhappy looking belly
sep26eeperwithbadbelly.jpg

Tonight I will check them all over properly since it was late when I found them and had to set them up in a Mat cage.

Wow! Just goes to show that even the most conscientious rat parent can have accident with intact rats in the home. I am glad you shared so this can be a big reminder to everyone that accidents can, and very often will, happen. You must have been floored to find them!

Hopefully the ovariectomy experiment will go well and you can start getting everyone else done.

We've seen pinkies with weird belly bruising before, so hopefully that's all that is on that baby.

Lesson's learned eh? :) I know when my girls were not spayed, I counted and counted them like mad when I would put them up. Now that all the girls are spayed I don't count nearly as much :dance: And i have found girls in boys cages :) Or girls left out on the table when the new crew come out.

It totally stinks but I know you will care for them.....

Wow! Que sera sera, I guess. Try not to be too hard on yourself...Life happens and, IMO, everything happens for a reason.

Welcome, babies! :)

well we have all said it time and time again.....mixed sexes in a home won't work....one sex should always be neutered or if that is not possible then only one sex should be kept . I know you are kicking yourself for this accident so I won't say anything more....
Good luck with the little ones.....

A good reminder for people .... Two unaltered sexes in the same household is an accident waiting to happen.
It is just a matter of time as people are not perfect.

:heart: :heart: Beautiful babies,
I'm looking forward to lots of baby pics :thumbup:

:congrats!!: ................... :dance:

No matter how unexpected, babies are a gift.
Cuddles and kisses to Alana.

:hugs:

Dahlas said:
well we have all said it time and time again.....mixed sexes in a home won't work....one sex should always be neutered or if that is not possible then only one sex should be kept . I know you are kicking yourself for this accident so I won't say anything more....
Good luck with the little ones.....

I am living proof that even after a neuter it can happen..... :) I will only have boys for the rest of my life :laugh4:

Certainly hope I didn't sound to.......gruff. Of course accidents happen. We are only human. Shelagh has done so much for the rescue world....The rats she has in her home would not even be alive if it were not for her......
The babies are sweet....and I can not wait to watch them all grow,

I don't think it's always as easy as neutering/spaying one sex.

Congrats on the babies, hope you post lots of pics. :heart:

Rachael said:
I don't think it's always as easy as neutering/spaying one sex.

Unless you do hard-core rescuing, yes.. yes it is. For the casual owner (like.. oh... me, for instance) I have never had an in-tact male while having in tact females, with the exception of short term fosters. If you have two females, don't make the decision to go out and get males unless you plan on fixing one sex. Rescuers don't have that choice, but just plain old owners sure do.

I agree with Moon. Unless you are rescuing rats that would otherwise be dead if not for you and all your resources go for the medical care of these rats then it's up to the individual to be responsible.
We know accidents can happen so why even risk it.
For me, I'm a pet home so all my females get spayed. I've had one or two slip ups while waiting for their spay date and let me tell you, I'm extremely anal about keeping intact sexes apart. I'm lucky it never resulted in a litter but it could have. This is why we should always encourage single sex homes or at least neuter/spay the rats.
Now, if all those are just not going to happen then we can discuss ways of making it somewhat safer with two intact sexes in the home.
I would think making sure doors are always closed in between rooms or maybe having each sex living on different levels of the home.
Making sure family members are fully aware of the consequences.

Awww. Don't feel bad about it, accidents are bound to happen on occasion no matter how careful you are. That's the reason I would never take any girls in (though I do want to rescue a pregnant/new mom rat one day, I do not have the resources or knowledge for that yet!).

Those little guys are too cute though.

jorats said:
I agree with Moon. Unless you are rescuing rats that would otherwise be dead if not for you and all your resources go for the medical care of these rats then it's up to the individual to be responsible.
We know accidents can happen so why even risk it.
For me, I'm a pet home so all my females get spayed. I've had one or two slip ups while waiting for their spay date and let me tell you, I'm extremely anal about keeping intact sexes apart. I'm lucky it never resulted in a litter but it could have. This is why we should always encourage single sex homes or at least neuter/spay the rats.
Now, if all those are just not going to happen then we can discuss ways of making it somewhat safer with two intact sexes in the home.
I would think making sure doors are always closed in between rooms or maybe having each sex living on different levels of the home.
Making sure family members are fully aware of the consequences.

Good ideas but not good enough .....
It is never safe to have intact ratties of both sexes in the same home as ratties are very smart, very motivated and people are not perfect.
I have heard of rats in the basement getting out of their cage and getting to the opposite sex caged in a third floor bedroom. The result was a large, cute litter of babies.
Since rats can chew through almost anything, I keep waiting to hear about intact rats chewing through their cage to get to intact rats of the opposite sex.

Rescuers frequently have to take this risk in order to save lives.
Lilspaz68 is a rescuer who has had to take this risk in order to save lives.

Pet owners need to be responsible enough to only keep one intact sex in their household.
This means either only keeping one sex of ratties or spaying or neutering at least all the ratties of one sex .

Like Jorats and many others, I am fortunate enough to be able to spay and neuter my ratties.

Oh man. This is terrifying...I have this recurring dream/nightmare of opening a cage to find it full of babies I wasn't expecting. I can't imagine how much I would flip out to have that happen in real life! :hugs:

They couldn't end up in a better house, though. Looking forward to pics of the little buggars.

Back