Sulforaphane (broccoli compound) for airway/lung disorders and infections

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiddlePod

Hey All--

So I've been dealing with my own pulmonary issues for about four weeks that had started out as the flu, that then turned into bronchitis (I have asthma) and after having issues clearing the bronchitis for about 14 days, my doctor just recently clarified the diagnosis on today as Pneumonia :eek::( . Yikes. Today I was placed on antibiotic treatment and steroids but my pulmonologist did recommend taking a Sulforaphane supplement at my appointment early last week to support my lungs and immune system, since she said that the benefits from the Sulforaphane supplement are incredible and has measurable and beneficial effect on pulmonary repair, bacterial defense and a handful of other cool benefits.

I got myself the bottle of the brand and in the form (alcohol free, no preservative tincture) that my pulmonologist recommended for the sulforaphane and I have been taking it since Friday Nov 1st. I just started a new antibiotic today along w/ pred along so I can't say for certain if the full benefit is from the Sulforaphane or the antibiotic/Pred (or a combination of both, since new abs and Pred were just started this evening) but the difference in my chest tightness, wheezing, coughing up crud and feeling overall like crud, has been noticably better on Tuesday Nov 5th since I started taking the supplement twice a day sans the antibiotic and Prednisone that I was prescribed today.

So anyway enough about me! On to the important and more interesting stuff ;). I've also been giving the sulforaphane supplement to Beans (and his brother Pi because I have to be fair :p) to see if it might have some benefit for him. It could possibly support his immune system and benefits combating some of the pulmonary conditions he's been dealing with.

There are numerous of studies and research out there documenting the use of sulforaphane in rats (as well as humans) with a focus on the rat animal model used in the study of pulmonary disorders such as COPD, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary infections (rat animal models for strains of bacterial pneumonia, CAR, pulmonary abscesses, etc), sarcoidosis, as well as non-pulmonary disorders like arthritis/osteoarthritis, nerve and auto-immune disorders. These studies discuss the antioxidant action of sulforaphane and how this supplement attenuates the above-mentioned pulmonary disorders and there are some very interesting studies documenting Sulforaphane's measured effects on inhibiting bacterial growth in the lungs as well as improving bacterial clearance from the lungs when administered in addition to antibiotics. So lots of very cool and exciting stuff out there detailing the benefits of sulforaphane in the use of rats!

If anyone is interested in the brand that my pulmonologist recommended, I picked it up from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T4H851K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Hd5WDb1WPYSZ8

It is marketed for kids but has the same concentrations as other sulforaphane supplements marketed for adults and my doctor likes that it comes in a liquid form w/o all the crappy additives. I take 4 sprays daily and have been giving Beans and Pi one spray twice a day (it's more like a pump squirt than an actual spray).

I'll let you all know if I notice any benefit for my boys after we settle in to a week or two of dosing. :) Sulforaphane may very well offer some benefit to our ratties, specifically targeting mycoplasma pulmonis and other pathogens including bolstering the immune system as well as other benefits.

I hope this information is helpful to other rattie parents! ♥️

Wow, that's really interesting! I've never heard of that. Would sure like to hear if it benefits your boys, and how you're doing too!

I've never heard of it either until my pulmonologist told me about it! I've been giving it to Beans for a couple of days now and he seems like he has a little more energy than usual (as does his brother Pi) and his breathing has been improving slowly (likely from the Gentamicin), but the Sulforaphane could be helping with that too. I'm assuming that I won't see any measurable benefit until he's been on the supplement for at least 4 weeks, but I will definitely update with what I find.

It's also been helpful with my current condition! I really do believe it is helping to expel the nasties along w/ the antibiotic I'm on (Sulforaphane has a cool synergetic action w/ antibiotics). I'm a little less fatigued and still feel cruddy but I'm doing better than I was last week. :)

Hey All--

So I've been dealing with my own pulmonary issues for about four weeks that had started out as the flu, that then turned into bronchitis (I have asthma) and after having issues clearing the bronchitis for about 14 days, my doctor just recently clarified the diagnosis on today as Pneumonia :eek::( . Yikes. Today I was placed on antibiotic treatment and steroids but my pulmonologist did recommend taking a Sulforaphane supplement at my appointment early last week to support my lungs and immune system, since she said that the benefits from the Sulforaphane supplement are incredible and has measurable and beneficial effect on pulmonary repair, bacterial defense and a handful of other cool benefits.

I got myself the bottle of the brand and in the form (alcohol free, no preservative tincture) that my pulmonologist recommended for the sulforaphane and I have been taking it since Friday Nov 1st. I just started a new antibiotic today along w/ pred along so I can't say for certain if the full benefit is from the Sulforaphane or the antibiotic/Pred (or a combination of both, since new abs and Pred were just started this evening) but the difference in my chest tightness, wheezing, coughing up crud and feeling overall like crud, has been noticably better on Tuesday Nov 5th since I started taking the supplement twice a day sans the antibiotic and Prednisone that I was prescribed today.

So anyway enough about me! On to the important and more interesting stuff ;). I've also been giving the sulforaphane supplement to Beans (and his brother Pi because I have to be fair :p) to see if it might have some benefit for him. It could possibly support his immune system and benefits combating some of the pulmonary conditions he's been dealing with.

There are numerous of studies and research out there documenting the use of sulforaphane in rats (as well as humans) with a focus on the rat animal model used in the study of pulmonary disorders such as COPD, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary infections (rat animal models for strains of bacterial pneumonia, CAR, pulmonary abscesses, etc), sarcoidosis, as well as non-pulmonary disorders like arthritis/osteoarthritis, nerve and auto-immune disorders. These studies discuss the antioxidant action of sulforaphane and how this supplement attenuates the above-mentioned pulmonary disorders and there are some very interesting studies documenting Sulforaphane's measured effects on inhibiting bacterial growth in the lungs as well as improving bacterial clearance from the lungs when administered in addition to antibiotics. So lots of very cool and exciting stuff out there detailing the benefits of sulforaphane in the use of rats!

If anyone is interested in the brand that my pulmonologist recommended, I picked it up from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T4H851K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Hd5WDb1WPYSZ8

It is marketed for kids but has the same concentrations as other sulforaphane supplements marketed for adults and my doctor likes that it comes in a liquid form w/o all the crappy additives. I take 4 sprays daily and have been giving Beans and Pi one spray twice a day (it's more like a pump squirt than an actual spray).

I'll let you all know if I notice any benefit for my boys after we settle in to a week or two of dosing. :) Sulforaphane may very well offer some benefit to our ratties, specifically targeting mycoplasma pulmonis and other pathogens including bolstering the immune system as well as other benefits.

I hope this information is helpful to other rattie parents! ♥️
Boccoli sprouts are known to kill cancer, the chemical when you eat it is very good for you. Although Broccoli sprouts are stronger then regular Broccoli, broccoli still has that same chemical I give it to my rats everyday just a little They Love it!!

Just wanted to give a quick update on the Sulforaphane.

Beans was a little slow to respond to the nebulized gentamicin for the first 6 days, but I noticed a significant improvement when I added two pumps of the Sulforaphane (150mg) daily (in addition to the other meds he is on). About 3 days into the Sulforaphane, I noticed Beans actively clearing his nose/airways with sneezing here and there; maybe sneezing 4-5 times a day for a couple of rounds.

It would be ridiculous to say that Beans has never sneezed before but he has not been a "sneezer". Even when this mess with the PAs began, he never sneezed unless he had sniffled something up his little nose. When his pulmonary symptoms first began he did a LOT of yawning, and very rarely sneezed. It seems like the uptick in sneezing is related to the Sulforaphane's effect on inhibiting bacterial growth in the lungs and its action in improving the efficiency of how bacteria is cleared from the lungs and respiratory tract (based on the documentation of this action in rats given a Sulforaphane supplement).

It has been 7 days of Sulforaphane and we are reaching the final day of gentamicin, and as mentioned I am able to see a measurable improvement in Beans' breathing, respiratory rate and clearer, more defined lung sounds. I'm very, very happy with these results!

I plan to continue the Sulforaphane supplement since I'm seeing a positive response in Beans. After I wrap up the last two gentamicin treatments tomorrow (Saturday 16 Nov), I'll monitor to see if the Sulforaphane continues to benefit him and his daily medication regimen, but from the results I've seen so far I'm feeling confident that it will. :)

Update! I mentioned in previous posts (Nov 2019) that Beans' breathing appeared to be less labored and that I was able to hear improved lung sounds with clear air movement from the right and left sides.

His most recent check-up in July 26 2019 his vets left us with some pretty grave news. It was very likely that Beans would continue to decline into August and we were told that he had maybe another month left with us. Radiographs at his July appointment showed that his little lungs were now filled with multiple granulomas (abscesses) which appeared as numerous polka dots and masses. They were significantly worse than they were in April-early July. :(

Fast forward to trying 14 days of Gentocin nebulized (while on the same oral meds since his initial diagnosis in Dec 2018) in Early Nov 2019, with the addition of Sulfloraphane (broccoli extract, he is still taking the supplement) and about into the 3rd week of November I began to notice some improvement, but remained skeptical.

So we brought Beans in on 12/14 for a recheck and to ask if we should rework his medications and to our surprise we ended up leaving with fantastic news. :)

To the astonishment and surprise of his team of exotics veterinarians, they found that his lungs had actually improved!! They brought in their head exotics veterinarian to confirm that Beans' lungs (while keeping in mind the terrible condition they are in eg Pulmonary Abscesses) did sound exceptional! Unlike at his July appointment his lung sounds were clear, air movement was confirmed and his veterinarians said to keep giving his meds and not to stop the Sulfloraphane as it may be contributing to his improvement. :) Hooray!

Beans is on his standard protocol (nebs with injectable Baytril and Albuterol once daily, lasix twice daily, Prednisone once daily, oral Baytril and Doxy twice daily with Azithromycin once a day) but with the added Sulflorphane once daily. The only change was the Gentamicin nebulizing for 14 days but I didn't observe any measurable improvement until I began adding the Sulfloraphane. I strongly recommend that folks try this supplement if they've reached the point where alternatives are far and few.

I'm so glad for this great news!!! Hopefully Bean will continue to improve!

Now where to buy broccoli extract... :D

Thank you so very much!!❤️ I'm so incredibly happy myself-- I really didn't think that Beans would still be with us this long and I certainly didn't expect that he would be doing as well as he has! It's been well over a year since his diagnosis and the condition that his lungs were in around this time last year convinced his veterinarians that he likely wouldn't survive more than 3 to 6 months following his diagnosis. I'm so thankful that we were given so much extra time with our precious little jelly bean.:)❤️

I think I put the link to a brand that was recommended to me by my human pulmonologist somewhere in one of the posts above. It's easy to miss it though since I have a habit of writing novels when it comes to this stuff. ;) I just really enjoy the whole "R&D" side and I love sharing the results. :)

I'll relink just in case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T4H851K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Hd5WDb1WPYSZ8?tag=forumyield-20

It tastes pretty good on its own but for picky ratties it's easy to hide it in a bit of baby food or that Harrison's Recovery Formula I've raved about dozens of times in some of my other posts: https://store.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/mobile/RECOVERY-FORMULA-350g/productinfo/RECOVERY/

As for the Sulfloraphane (broccoli extract), I administered it twice daily for the first two weeks at two squirts once in the morning and once in the evening. That's about 0.35ml if you prefer a precise volume.

After the two weeks I knocked it down to two squirts once daily (0.35ml), given either in the morning or evening. Beans' brother Pi gets it too since it has anti-inflammatory and neuro-protective properties. My hope in dosing Pi is that it prevents or at least slows the progression of spinal stenosis and/or osteoarthritis of the spine.

If you decide to try the Sulfloraphane (broccoli extract) please share any results you find! :)

Last edited:
Also, I want to clarify that Sulphfloraphane (broccoli extract) is not a substitute for antibiotic treatment. If you are treating for an active respiratory infection, Sulfloraphane's action is synergistic when given with antibiotics.

Sulphfloraphane may also be continued for support after antibiotics are finished or it may be started prior to symptoms of illness as a daily supplement to make use of its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory as well as its pulmonary, cardiovascular and neuroprotective properties.

I wanted to be certain that folks are not intending to use this supplement as a replacement for antibiotics and veterinary treatment. :)

Back