Sudden swollen eyelids?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there everyone! Today that my rat Peanut has been squinting his right eye a lot. Not even today; really just now. He wasn’t squinting yesterday or this morning, so I’m puzzled. I picked him up and noticed that his eyelids on that side are quite swollen.
6EC054AB-3D89-43F6-8140-B3C9455B3771.jpeg

Here’s a photo of the eye in question. His other eye is not doing this and looks normal. Should I be concerned? What’s going on? I’ll try to update on the situation as it progresses.

You can watch and wait and see how he does. You can give infant liquid ibuprofen to see if that helps with swelling. You can also flush his eye with lubricating or natural tear formula eyedrops just in case he's got debris in it.

You can watch and wait and see how he does. You can give infant liquid ibuprofen to see if that helps with swelling. You can also flush his eye with lubricating or natural tear formula eyedrops just in case he's got debris in it.
Thanks for this reply! His eye looks better, but the swelling still isn’t completely gone. If I do give him the infant ibuprofen, how much should I use? He’s around three months old, but he’s smaller than average. I could try to weigh him but I’m not sure if I have a scale that would register him.

Back