Sudden marble sized lump.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drink.Tai.Tea

Hello. I have three girl rats that are a little over a year old now. My pet shop rat which was gifted to me (the person didn't know about the poor genetic breeding of shops) has a marble sized lump on her side below her arm. I was shocked as I interact with them every day yet I know it couldn't have been at this size for long as I only noticed it yesterday. I took a better look at her today and noticed on her other side, almost symmetrical in location, is another lump that is very small. They feel uniform but somewhat springy and loose underneath the skin.

They are not spayed. I have been looking up medication which is supposed to inhibit mammary gland tumors and the cost and viability of having them spayed at over a year old.

The drugs I have heard mentioned are bromocriptine, cabergoline, and tamoxifen.

I suspect mammary gland tumors, but I haven't had time yet to investigate much. What's the best method of action that will be easiest on my rat? I live in Central Florida.

Best regards,
Tai.

If your petstore girl is only 14-15 months (instead of 18 months or older) then her mammary tumours are starting very early. My vet would only use bromocriptine after spaying a rat to inhibit more tumours growing.

I believe she was given to me around June of 2019 and the best I guessed her to be was around 2-3 months. I suppose it's possible she bit under the arm area on both sides as I recently discovered they have some fleas that I am assuming came from dogs or cats somewhere in the apartment complex. However, it feels separate from the skin and just underneath. How effective is bromocriptine?

That's not a classic symptom of PT. These are confusion,inability to grasp with front paws, wobbly or falling over when turning, walking off edges, pushing front legs stiffly in front, clubbing or knuckling of paws,headbumping,excessive bruxxing etc

Back