Sudden Death. What happened.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfgirl

my girl was 10 months old 1 day. She was fine yesterday morning. By evening she was gone.
No symptoms.
Paid for a basic necropsy, and the vet said all her organs looked healthy. (Cant afford biopsies to narrow down any further.)
I specifically asked if her lungs looked good, and vet said they did.
But.... this dumb vet also said rats dont get strokes. So. Who knows how accurate the necropsy was. (And this is an exotic vet)
Please help give ideas. And do i need to be worried about the others???
I should mention she was always shy and antisocial since a baby.
And a couple weeks ago she bit me which o thought i had just scared her, but maybe it was a sign she wasnt well :(

Attachments

• 20200915_011604.jpg
    20200915_011604.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 20200915_011525.jpg
    20200915_011525.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200914_200228.jpg
    20200914_200228.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 167
I am so sorry for your loss. I really am. It's hard for us rat parents with their short life spans in relation to ours. Rats don't get strokes? What in the hell is he talking about?

Yeah apparently i need a new vet.
I feel like she had so much life left though!!!
For god sake her mother is still alive! So are all of her siblings! Her presumed father is well also.

Im worried it is something contagious.

I am so sorry for your loss. I really am. It's hard for us rat parents with their short life spans in relation to ours. Rats don't get strokes? What in the hell is he talking about?

A rat that is around a year old can be perfectly fine in the morning and gone by the time you come home. We always assumed a stroke or heart attack of which rats definitely can have. It's not common but does happen. I'm so very sorry :(

Thank you.
I never expected it to be this hard. She isnt even one of the babies i have the closest relationship to, so i can only imagine how destroyed i will be when its there time.
A rat that is around a year old can be perfectly fine in the morning and gone by the time you come home. We always assumed a stroke or heart attack of which rats definitely can have. It's not common but does happen. I'm so very sorry :(

Thank you.
I never expected it to be this hard. She isnt even one of the babies i have the closest relationship to, so i can only imagine how destroyed i will be when its there time.
No matter which rat it is, it's hard. I STILL feel my heart drop when I think of my rat that I lost. I'm in the same boat as you with my heart rat Big Schpog. I will be a wreck when she passes.

I'm a 50 something, not super emotional guy and I get pretty upset when my rats pass. My boy Leo was dead in his cage two weeks ago Friday and I have no idea what happened to him. First rat I've had that died unexpectedly in his cage. Don't beat yourself up, sometimes it's inexplicable and unexpected.

I'm a 50 something, not super emotional guy and I get pretty upset when my rats pass. My boy Leo was dead in his cage two weeks ago Friday and I have no idea what happened to him. First rat I've had that died unexpectedly in his cage. Don't beat yourself up, sometimes it's inexplicable and unexpected.
I'm a 50 something too. That pain of losing a rat is the hardest.

Back