Sudden biting/pulling and help to socialize

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmkaeberlein

Hey everyone, new here. I have posted in intros already :)

So this evening I noticed my one male biting and pulling at one of my females. I had introduced them and they've been getting along quite well until tonight. I have had the male for about a week tomorrow, and the females 2 days so far. Should I let them hash it out, or separate them? I got worried so I separated them because she didn't seem to be defending herself.

Also, how do you socialize/handle your rats when you first get them if they are not used to being too handled? If I could get step-by-step help that would be amazing. I've tried to use baby puffs and baby meats to coax them, but they still don't seem so trusting. How long should I keep doing this for? Should I try to get them out of the cage or allow them to come to me on their own, continuing to try the treats? Help please!

Are your rats nurtured and spayed.? If not don't let them interact.. You can try baby food and see if they like it but never try to force a rat out of the cage.. That will Most likely make them even less trusting ..

If your rats aren't fixed I'd seperate the male from the females IMMEDIATELY. He can get one or both pregnant. Are you prepared to care for, or find good homes for a bunch of babies? If you want to put the male with the females, then have a vet who knows rats, and is experienced at doing neuters on rats, to neuter him, then wait 3 weeks and try intros again. Www.joinrats.com has lots of helpful information on it, and www.ratguide.com has good info for health stuff. Welcome to the forums.

Back