Sudden Aggressive Behavior

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Amanda

Hi everyone,
I have 2 female, un-spayed rats (Echo and Henni) who are both a little over 2 years old. They've been living together for about a year and a half and haven't had issues with each other aside from the occasional overly-intense grooming.
Tonight I noticed that Henni is biting on to Echo's skin and tail and pulling. I haven't seen her do this before and Echo squeaks when she does it. I don't see any blood, but when I catch her doing it, it looks like she's trying to tug pretty hard.
Do they need to be separated? Any ideas about why she might be doing this?

Not entirely sure, but I've heard pituitary tumors can alter their personality. Does she seem to be using her front paws OK? If you give her a treat, can she hold it and eat it with no problem? I know there are other things that may effect the way she's acting, but at 2 years old, that's what I would rule out first. If she has one, I know you may be able to help it with a medication called cabergoline or something like that. Prednisone. Hopefully Lilspaz, or SQ will comment soon, and can give you more answers soon. Sorry I'm not much help.

Back