Sudden aggression from older male

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merrymore

I have a 2 yr 2 mo unneutered male named Rupert and two 1 yr 9 mo spayed females named Bonnie and Nina who are sisters. They met Rupert 6 months ago. Introductions went great, everything perfect for a while. After a couple months Rupert would occasionally get nasty with them, like really pursuing them to fight, a lot of screaming, and he (and only he) would bite us when we separated them. There was never blood until Nina got a chunk bit out of her ear one night while we were sleeping so we assume that the only reason the other fights didnt get bloody was because we were awake to intervene. But they were acting normal by the time we woke up and everything would be fine for the next few months except for 1 or 2 fights a month that we had to break up.

Last night Rupert had to be separated 5 times because he kept attacking Bonnie. Bonnie is now scared of him and hides in a corner when he gets close. Nina and Rupert are still friends, but we cant put Bonnie in danger nor can we separate her from Nina so right now we're sadly having to keep Rupert alone until we figure out what's happening.

Please please please help.

Yikes, that sucks. I would've separated them too for safety's sake. You gotta get him neutered. That sounds like hormonal aggression to me. They want nothing to do with his advances b/c they're not having any hormones and he's full of them.

Yikes, that sucks. I would've separated them too for safety's sake. You gotta get him neutered. That sounds like hormonal aggression to me. They want nothing to do with his advances b/c they're not having any hormones and he's full of them.
I've seen the hormone explanation for adolescents, but Rupert is over 2 years old. Would that still happen at his age?

Edit to add: it's also inconsistent. They all spent the whole day napping in a pile together and then suddenly an hour ago he snapped again. Then when we took him out, the girls went up to the barrier at the door (their setup is a whole room with the cage in it) sniffing him through it as he tried to get back in, no aggression, just wanting to be back with them. The dynamic is so unstable we have to be in the room for them to be together. It's fine most of the time but the episodes are enough to need supervision

Last edited:
Back