Sudden Act of Aggression

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i have two fancy rats. I let them chill in my bed with me in the dark. One of them is a nibbler. She nibbles my thighs and toes under the cover. and if i stick my finger through the cage she bites (usually thinking it’s a treat im guessing) but anyway i was laying in bed with her tonight and she was being affectionate bc i was away this weekend but all the sudden she reared back and lunged at my eye and took a bite out of my eyelid. she’s launched herself at my face before once but just jumped off it. I’m pretty sure she bit me this time bc there’s a deepish cut, although she could’ve scratched me p bad like i said it’s was dark. obviously this behavior is unacceptable. i was wondering if anyone might know the reason for it. luckily i closed my eye in time and saved myself a trip to the ER but she got close.

Often rats see things on you, and think you need help getting it off of you. With her poor eyesight, it's possible she saw your eye lid and lashes as something you needed help with. I'm sure others with experience in this kind of issue may have more to say than me. Just a thought......

Often rats see things on you, and think you need help getting it off of you. With her poor eyesight, it's possible she saw your eye lid and lashes as something you needed help with. I'm sure others with experience in this kind of issue may have more to say than me. Just a thought......
That’s what i’m hoping happened, instead of actual pure aggression and malice. She tends to bite first ask questions later. I’m just hoping it’s a one time accident because she did damn near take out my eye lol.

Eyelashes can remind them of feathers/birds and their predatory instincts can kick in. BUT it also could be a type of aggressive bite. I had a girl who was very sweet but slightly pushy. One day out of the blue she launched herself at my face. She was never allowed near my face again. I wouldn't advise sleeping with this girl out.

mar9Sophiebite_zps5a86732a.jpg~original

Eyelashes can remind them of feathers/birds and their predatory instincts can kick in. BUT it also could be a type of aggressive bite. I had a girl who was very sweet but slightly pushy. One day out of the blue she launched herself at my face. She was never allowed near my face again. I wouldn't advise sleeping with this girl out.

mar9Sophiebite_zps5a86732a.jpg~original
omg that’s what my eye looked like too! so suppose it makes sense. I’ll definitely have to be more cautious when she’s out. thank you for the info

My kissy, licky little girl likes to try to groom my eye lashes. I don't like it, so I keep her away. I was going to say maybe she thought the lashes was a bug? Mine go crazy over mosquito Hawks! I had a boy, who would dismantle and eat anything that flew in his reach in seconds flat! So maybe just a freak thing, but as Lilspaz said, I'd definitely keep her away from the face from now on! LOL

I have a bird who loves to land on top of the rat cage and they (my rats) will almost always try to grab his feathers. They'll try to grab stuffed animals, etc. I wonder if she felt your eyelashes on her whiskers and decided your eyelashes were something to chase and grab a hold of.

(I don't want the bird to land there and actively discourage it, but animals will be animals lol)

I have a bird who loves to land on top of the rat cage and they (my rats) will almost always try to grab his feathers. They'll try to grab stuffed animals, etc. I wonder if she felt your eyelashes on her whiskers and decided your eyelashes were something to chase and grab a hold of.

(I don't want the bird to land there and actively discourage it, but animals will be animals lol)
that’s what i’m thinking happened tbh. they both like trying to go in my eyes, mouth, and nose lol

Back