Stubborn rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitcat920

I have had my two dwarf rats for a few rats. At the beginning we didn’t have the proper materials to have them free roam. I would take them out every day and have them play on the couch with me until one day, one of them went into the couch. Since then I was worried so I made a play pen out of poster board and magnets. Whenever I put them inside the pen my one rat just bites and destroys it to get out. I then built them a castle of cardboard boxes, made toys for them, and everything I seem to do is futile. He will just chew it up and try to escape. They seem to like shoulder time but hate staying still and being cuddled. I don’t know how to interact or help make sure they are engaged. Please help I just want them to be happy rats!

Rats are very active and curious animals, no matter how big you make their playpen they'll always want to know what's on the other side, as long as you see them running around, playing with each other and not showing signs of boredom, then you don't need to worry. If you want to cuddle with your rats wait till their sleepy and you can pet them then, if you want to actively engage with them you can try to playfight (girls like doing this more) or trick train them.

Thank you! Do you have any tips to keep them entertained in the play pen? Only one of them likes play fighting with my hands.

Back