Stroke or Pitituary Tumor?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fvllmetalsweatr

Hi there! New here!

So Tuesday (11/23) I suddenly noticed my rat (name is Roadhog, about 2 yrs old) had a head tilt and some trouble keeping balance. I took him into the vet the next day and got him on Prednisone and Vibramycin, which she suggested I keep him on for 10 days and to monitor him for symptoms then bring him back. She was thinking it was most likely a PT, whereas we initially suspected ear infection, but ears were clear! He doesn't have any other symptoms other than one eye being slightly bigger than the other, but now (Friday 11/26, 4 days on meds) he is doing exactly the same and eating just as much as before the incident.

Due to how sudden it happened, I've begun to suspect a stroke? He seems to be unstable on one side as opposed to all over. He is eating fine and his paws don't seem crumpled up or different than before. He is also just as active as before! He does seem slightly listless and rolls when I pick him up (only on the tilt side), but otherwise he is himself!

I was just looking for some input while I await my checkup visit. My vet eluded to no changes being a positive sign while obviously not as great as seeing improvement.

I'm incredibly bonded to this guy and I'm just having trouble relaxing or sleeping or really doing anything while I worry over my baby. He is clearly not in any pain and doesn't even seem grumpy or frustrated. I just want some hope, I suppose. I've never had a rat develop a condition like this, and since it happened in the course of my workday Tuesday and hasn't progressed, I've really started to hope it isn't a tumor.

Any input? He is still giving me kisses and nibbles and other than those symptoms he is still the same rat I've always known! He's also the largest he's ever been lol.

It sounds like an ear infection to me.! Often times you can't actually see their infection because they're so small, and the symptoms can come on suddenly(speaking from experience on this one !) the best way to tell for sure would be to take a video of him just kinda walking around on a safe flat area then post it here. (you can post to YouTube and link it here, might be the easiest) Strokes effect rats the same way as humans in it effects one side of the body and they are often appearing lifeless other than breathing, PTs are harder for me to explain but it's very obvious in a video with how they move. I apologize if this makes no sense or is messy, I'm typing with one hand because my other is stolen by my cat, if I confused you at all please tell me so I can try to explain better.! Also questions are never discouraged so don't be shy about them !

If you end up thinking it's an ear infection, make sure and keep him on antibiotics for a good LONG while. But it does sound like it could be a stroke. Rats are so wonderfully adaptable, if the symptoms are mild, I'm sure he'll continue to live a rewarding life. I was interested that your vet prescribed Vibramycin, that is not an antibiotic I hear a lot about in the rat game, but she sounds knowledgeable.

Back